Unattended Install (Apps from Network Share)

This is something I have been playing with since I really didn't want to waste a bunch of DVDs when creating a fully unattended installation of XP with applications.

In order to keep from having to make a new CD every time you add a new application to your setup, I recommend the following:

1. Save your applications on a network share in a particular folder

2. Save your programs.cmd (or whatever you call it) to the same network shared folder

3. In your winnt.sif file, in the [GUIRunOnce] section, add the following lines:

%systemdrive%\install\drivemap.cmd

p:\programs.cmd

4. Create a drivemap.cmd file with the following code

net use p: \\Computer\Share

(Computer is the name of your

other network computer and Share is the location of your programs.

Then, save that file in the $OEM$\$1\Install directory on your CD.

5. Make sure that you edit your programs.cmd file so that you are not directing the system to install from the Install folder on the hard drive.

Example of code for one of the programs:

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Office 2003 Professional
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait p:\Office2003\Office2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

Notice that I am not pointing to the %systemdrive% because these programs are not going to be copied to the install folder.

I can easily modify my programs.cmd file and the list of programs to be installed, as well as adding the programs to the network share.

I am using different method...

a.) apps installation settings are stored in Netlogon, so it is universal location - %LogonServer%\Netlogon\...

b.) first I am mirroring directories - it is because if you launch 10-15 computers on slow server, they will sometimes fail

Not only domain admin... I got service account for this purposes, for my main company I am using Unicenter, but for many small clients I got proprietar solution like this.

Netlogon is (similar to SysVol) replicated between DCs. And variable LogonServer means DC you were authorized from. This is quite simple, but powerful solution.

My DC is a samba/openldap solution.

I will try the netlogon solution to install appz. It seems more flexible than a script inside the cdrom.

Edited by hfrfc

Why not ;)

There are a lot of ways like unattended/ris or silent install. I use full silent install atm but it is a pain to maitain.

I have no active directory (too expensive) and deploying appz is a bit more difficult for me.

I will try to check what is the best solution ( duh i have to deploy WUS too ).

Yes.

No money for cals nor for ghost servers, etc. We use a lot of open source software (samba/openldap, debian..). We have 3/4 windows , 1/4 linux btw (total : 200 computers)

Edited by hfrfc

OK it works fine.

I mount a share with netlogon and then it executes a start.cmd like.

It works just fine but it lacks a GUi for example for selecting appz or tweaks.

Edited by hfrfc