Just sits at 39mins, goes no further

All,

I've managed to create and burn my CD with no issues.

It has a few apps and they're select by using WPI.

Now, the problem i have is weird and i can't figure what is wrong, so any suggestion are appreciated.

If I place this CD in a PC it will, boot as expected, rebuild partition and copy files over. It then does first reboot and install as you want. I have to enter my PC, Compnay Name & Serial Key.

I then put this CD into any number of other machine, it boots as expected, rebuild partition and copy files over.

It then does first reboot and just stays at the 39mins stage for ever and a day.

If i eject the cd it complains about not being able to read d:\i386\asms folder, but if i view the cd, the folder and files exist, because it worked on the other pc no issues.

Looking on MS site it does mention that CD is corrupt, but not sure as works in other PC all the time, regular as clockwork. It also said that asms folder is missing or files are 0kb, not right as worked on other pc no issues.

So, why does it just sit there? and do nothing?

Thanks for ready this and assisting of you can.

A frustrated Oldman

I have this sometimes too, just wait 15 min, if it is still hanging @ 39min try to press Space buttons, Enter, Alt ... that ll work sometimes for me :P

I think the machine is installing or configuring hardware devices (on 39 min)

good luck!

Thanks for the thought guys.

1.Have left it sitting @39mins for nealry an hour, and then turning of the pc and back on in hope it will pick it up, but it just goes back to same spot.

2.Will transfer the cd-drive over and see if that makes a difference.

I know the drives are "supposed" to be 48x, built by samsung, so their not that bad and the cd are by imation, burnt at 1x in hope it would be more reliably burnt.

As requested,

YES working - 396MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Slot1 P3 450Mhz, Nvidia MX400 64MB AGP, Pioneer DVD-ROM

NO - 128MB RAM, 4GB HDD, Socket? P3 800Mhz, SIS6326 8MB AGP, Samsung 48x CD-ROM

Burnt using a Plextor Premium, with ISO generated using CDImage on Nero 6.1.3.25 at 1x to a Imation CD-R

As requested,

YES working - 396MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Slot1 P3 450Mhz, Nvidia MX400 64MB AGP, Pioneer DVD-ROM

NO - 128MB RAM, 4GB HDD, Socket? P3 800Mhz, SIS6326 8MB AGP, Samsung 48x CD-ROM

Burnt using a Plextor Premium, with ISO generated using CDImage on Nero 6.1.3.25 at 1x to a Imation CD-R

Try to disable video BIOS shadowing option etc. @ the bios

edit: unplug internet cables, usb...make everything as light as possible

Edited by 2forza

Done that, and also set the BIOS to load default options - no luck.

Also set it to use Performance.

The BIOS does have ACPI support otherwise it won't allow XP to be installed, but do you think a BIOS update may work?

*another method, only if you are REALLY desperate...

copy the Setup to HDD, booting from floppy and running "winnt.exe" setup from C:

(Xcopy)

*Maybe its overheating problem? Check the fan, is it properly seated on the processor?

Also try to install with open case.

*Eliminate extra PCI cards

*My friend had once ACPI error, I disabled it...and Windows just installed fine without ACPI

*Is it only WinXP? Have you tried other OS? 2000 / 9x ?

*Is it WinXP SP2? theres a known conflict with SP2

*Tried with other hardware? Maybe theres hardware conflict

Edited by 2forza

@2forza - your assistance with this has been appreciated.

*Is it WinXP SP2? theres a known conflict with SP2
Not sure what you mean by this, but yes it is XPSP2.
*Maybe its overheating problem? Check the fan, is it properly seated on the processor?

Also try to install with open case.

Am doing at present with case side of - fan spins round happily

*Is it only WinXP? Have you tried other OS? 2000 / 9x ?
Not sure about other OS, as not needed/wanted
*My friend had once ACPI error, I disabled it...and Windows just installed fine without ACPI

Disabled that - no luck

Will try the known good cd-drive later in replacement of dodgy! one and see what hapepns.

Did a Win98SE boot disk to fdisk and format and found out i had 26MB of bad sectors, so could have been an issue:(

Am going to test known good cd-drive in morning and see how get on, but hopefully will be fixed soon

HAve also found that using the known good DVD-ROM in the bad PC it all worked.

Looks like the burnt CD's didn't want to work at 48x but did at 40x.

So, problem solved.

Thanks for help guys.

One way of knowing if your setup is frozen or not, would be to enter the debug mode.

Press SHIFT+F10

Then you get a command prompt, if your PC is not frozen. Thereafter, you can see what processes are running, etc. by using the CMD prompt!