NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Hi,

I've looked all over the forum and searched for ages on google but I can't find a way to enable, yes, ENABLE, netbios over tcp/ip through a script or reg entry.

Anyone know of a way?

I am sick of having my UBDVD do everything except this. It means at the mo i always have to right click network connectio, click properties, select internet protocol, click properties, click advanced, and then click WINS tab and then change the radio button to ENABLE instead of DEFAULT, I am really sick of it now, if anyone can help or at least point me in the right direction I will me MOST greatful!

Thanks in advance :thumbup

in the winnt.sif i add this....works for me

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=No

[NetAdapters]
   Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]
   INFID=*

[NetClients]
   MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]
   MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

[NetProtocols]
   MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP
   MS_NWIPX=params.MS_NWIPX
   MS_NetBEUI=params.MS_NetBEUI

[params.MS_TCPIP]
   DNS=No
   UseDomainNameDevolution=No
   EnableLMHosts=Yes
   AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]
   SpecificTo=Adapter1
   DHCP=No
   IPAddress=***.***.*.*
   SubnetMask=255.255.255.0
   DefaultGateway=***.***.*.*
   DNSServerSearchOrder=***.***.***.*,***.***.***.**
   WINS=No
   NetBIOSOptions=0

[params.MS_NWIPX]
   VirtualNetworkNumber=00000000
   AdapterSections=params.MS_NWIPX.Adapter1

[params.MS_NWIPX.Adapter1]
   SpecificTo=Adapter1
   PktType=0xFF
   NetworkNumber=00000000

Edited by Tbone2

Hi,

I've looked all over the forum and searched for ages on google but I can't find a way to enable, yes, ENABLE, netbios over tcp/ip through a script or reg entry.

Anyone know of a way?

I am sick of having my UBDVD do everything except this. It means at the mo i always have to right click network connectio, click properties, select internet protocol, click properties, click advanced, and then click WINS tab and then change the radio button to ENABLE instead of DEFAULT, I am really sick of it now, if anyone can help or at least point me in the right direction I will me MOST greatful!

Thanks in advance :thumbup

Here ya go :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NetBT\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{8842DE70-9816-4831-88D1-B345A1AB2EF3}]
"NetbiosOptions"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{8842DE70-9816-4831-88D1-B345A1AB2EF3}]
"NetbiosOptions"=dword:00000001

save as whatteva.reg and insert @ T-12 or RunOnceEx.

:)

UhOh..., I've made an blunder...those values are Interface-specific...NIC that is.. :blushing:

I guess you can take that value from your reg and paste it in, but then it wouldnt be of much help if installing on other machine..

sorry bro

Edited by Clint

The following, for XP, should do it, by first finding out the interface specific portion.

It will set a dword value of 00000001 in NetbiosOptions, for any adaptors identified as Local Area Connections

@echo off&setlocal enableextensions
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" /s^|findstr "\\Connection"') do (
for /f "delims=" %%b in ('reg query "%%a"^|find "Local Area Connection"') do (
if errorlevel 0 call :doit %%a
)
)
endlocal&goto :eof
:doit
for /f "tokens=1-8 delims=\" %%c in ("%1") do (
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_%%i /v NetbiosOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
)
goto :eof

I have no idea at what stage it would need to be run, to be effective, so please don't ask.

<Edit>

Changed to scrolling code box in the hope of preventing line wrap

</Edit>

Edited by Yzöwl

Nice!

Now there is some nice piece of code..wish I could :no:

..and for others reading, if you wanna DISABLE netbios tcp/ip just change "REG_DWORD /d 1 /f"

to : "REG_DWORD /d 2 /f"

or wanna set to DEFAULT change to :

"REG_DWORD /d 0 /f"

..beautiful solution.. :thumbup

Edited by Clint

• 1 year later...

In an over zealous use of nLite* I disabled the "NetBios over TCPIP" service. I guess Steve Gibson's (grc.com) "Network Bondage" page made me too sensitive to that phrase.

While the network card works for the NetBeui protocol across my local network(not over TCP/IP), and my router assigns an IP address, the computer never recognizes that it has an IP address. Therefore there is no internet access. Simple - turn the service back on, right? Nope. The "NetBios over TCPIP" service does not show up in the Services management console.

To turn it back on, go to the "Device Manager" (shortcut [Windows Key]+[R] devmgmt.msc[Enter]). On the "View" menu, pick "Show Hidden Devices". Expand the "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" section. Double Click on "NetBios over TCPIP" and pick it's "Driver" tab. In the "Startup Type" section pick "System" from the drop down box.

The easiest bet is to reboot, and all will be well. I you want to take the hard way, click the "Current Status" "Start" button on that tab. Then go to the "Services" management console (shortcut [Windows Key]+[R] services.msc[Enter]). Double click on "DHCP Client", and then click on it's "Service Status" "Start" button.

Edited by chapmani