MySQL

I'm trying to set up my own forum(using phpBB2) at a host where PHP is fully supported and I want to host my own SQL database for the forum but I am having problems making MySQL work, I keep getting an error saying that the database can't be accessed.

I am very very new at SQL and PHP and do not know how to code or mess around SQL. I need to know what I'm doing wrong, and if you could it would be nice to know how to create a database in MySQL, and if creating it is everything thats necessary for the forum or anything else, because I just have MySQL "out of the box" installed and only created a user using MySQL Admin GUI.

So any help would be great, by the way this is the error I keep getting.

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on '217.129.22.253' (110) in /home/freehost/t35.com/r/e/redsheep/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/freehost/t35.com/r/e/redsheep/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/freehost/t35.com/r/e/redsheep/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

I get this error message under the latest version of Apache installed on my computer, plus PHP and latest version of MySQL (4.10)

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in C:\Programas\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\phpBB2\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Programas\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\phpBB2\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Programas\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\phpBB2\db\mysql4.php on line 331

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

I don't know what the problem was, but its fixed, I reinstalled windows and instead of installing PHP+Apache+MySQL I went and got XAMPP which already brings everything ready and it worked that way. Thanks for the support anyway.