Customize Recovery Console with external Tools

vogtlanduk

Hi, is there a way to Customize Recovery Console with external Tools like OO Bluecon does?

So for instance to start a own commandline util from within the recovery console.

Second Question: how to update the Recovery console and bootdisks with a servicepack?

1- No way AFAIK (better idea : make a PE disc !)

2- slipstream the SP on the CD, delete the CMDCONS folder on hard drive, reinstall it.

Or simply copy the files from the SP on the one of the CMDCONS folder

bye

1)

I`m afraid you`re right Delprat. It seems to be a dead end. So far i know the only difference between recovery console and bluecon is a non microsoft smss.exe in the system32 folder and the extra O&O tools there. I assume this smss.exe loads into `bluecon`but i don´t understand the process behind.

2)

OK, recovery console is updated. But what about the bootdisks ?

Especially if i slipstreamed the servicepack and integrated some extra raiddrivers into i386. The problem is to be sure that txtsetup.sif uses correct references between raiddrivers and sourcedisknumbers.

1- ... and the proccess of making a PE disc is well documented (that's the reason of my previous post 1st point). I can't help you more about this, sorry.

2- you can download the updated bootdisks at MS download center. Go there :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results...&DisplayLang=en

click on the one you want (Home or Pro, no SP or SP1a or SP2), and then select your language on the download page

(it will be a SFX-CAB archive, with 6 .IMG files and the utility to copy them on floppies)

I don't know if these floppies asks for an "additional mass storage floppy disk", but there is free space on some of them, and TXTSETUP.SI_ on the first.

(it's the same TXTSETUP.SIF on the CD...)

bye

Thank you Delprat!

1)

I see BartPE is well documented, powerfull and i use it too. But if you also use windows 2000 you have a problem.

2)

Sorry, same problem. For windows 2000 i can`t find a download for SP4.

Yes it asks for an "additional mass storage floppy disk", it starts the normal w2k setup.

The question is: if you integrate some mass storage drivers in i386 with apps like nlite,

txtsetup.sif will be manipulated, but is it consistent with bootdisks one?

I remember there was a batchfile to do this job on the internet, but can`t find it anymore.

3)

I know, i know many questions about windows 2000 in the XP-Thread. Please don`t `kill`me! I think the solving technique is the same.

Once TXTSETUP.SIF have been modified by nlite, you can re-cab it (makecab txtsetup.sif), and copy it over TXTSETUP.SI_ on the floppy.

(there is no chances IMHO that nlite modifies any of the boot files)

I think you don't need to worry about the other files...