How to completely uninstall Longhorn 5048

xian7479

I've XP and Longhorn 5048 installed on one HD. Recently, after I do a disk clone, I cannot boot into Longhorn anymore. Is there any one knows how to uninstall the new selection menu that Longhorn puts on the system partition.

Thx

For Longhorn 5048, there is something else than boot.ini. Before the normal selection menu, there is a new menu added by Longhorn, which title is "Windows boot manager", after I delete the partition where Longhorn installed and edited the boot.ini, this menu is still there, but only has "Legacy (pre-longhorn) windows operating systems" left.

Does anyone knows how to delete this menu? Thanks again.

@Takeshi

What do you mean "unrecognised file"? 'cause I also have Acronis True Image installed and have Acronis Startup Recovery Manager activated, there are many files that do not exist in normal single XP system, but I don't know which file pertains to which OS or application, that's why I ask this question.

@all

Could anyone tell me when install Longhorn 5048 in a partition other than the system partition, what files are added to the system partition?

Thx

BTW, I made my True Image backup after I installed Longhorn, so I cannot use restoration to get rid of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
For Longhorn 5048, there is something else than boot.ini. Before the normal selection menu, there is a new menu added by Longhorn, which title is "Windows boot manager", after I delete the partition where Longhorn installed and edited the boot.ini, this menu is still there, but only has "Legacy (pre-longhorn) windows operating systems" left.

Does anyone knows how to delete this menu? Thanks again.

Thank You! I thought I was the only one having this problem....

So far this is how you uninstall Longhorn:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- You do not have to re-format your HD or the partition.

- Make sure you delete all of the Longhorn Files found on your HD or second partion.

- Edit the boot.ini file. ("?:\boot.ini and then remove the Longhorn entry. Save and exit.

- Reboot windows for changes to take effect.

but the new "Boot Manager" dialog is still there upon startup. Althogh it doesn't harm anything I still find it quite annoying myself.

If I find a solution i'll post back with the info. :}

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry,I‘ve been away for a few weeks so I did'n read your replies.

but the new "Boot Manager" dialog is still there upon startup. Althogh it doesn't harm anything I still find it quite annoying myself.

me too. :(

@nareshsa

The new menu doesn't come from MBR, I'll try fixboot command.

Thx

When i had this i beleive fixboot from my xp recovery console did the trick. Also to save time it may be worth backing up the boot files before you install it: ntldr, ntdetect.com etc.

• 4 weeks later...

IMPORTANT I NEED HELP AND YOU DO TO

i was reading what ya said and i wanted to try and i got it to work.

you dont have to do that if you have windows xp and longhorn installed

i was able to remove that boot menu hehe i'll show you guys unless you give me this line from ur boot menu:

My boot.ini:

boot.ini

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

i need at least one of you guys to paste ur so i know how to configure Longhorn.

i deleted the Longhorn boot from my boot.ini and i never formated the longhorn partition and its still installed so i cant get to it anymore. im missing the longhorn part and i never saved it so i need you guys to paste ur boot.ini

STEPS

1. Right Click on "My Computer"

2. Go to "Properties"

3. Go to "Advanced" tab

4. Go down to where it says "Startup and Recovery" and hit the "Settings" button

5. Change default Operating system back to XP or whatever OS you want

6. After that hit the "Edit" Button. it should open up the boot.ini

7. Remove the "Longhorn" multiboot part and save it

8. Restart and there you go no annoying boot menu at the pc restart, NO REFORMAT OR ANYTHING TO YOUR FIRST OS INSTALLED

WORKED FOR ME AND I CAN'T GET TO THE BOOT MENU TO CHOOSE MY OS AND I WANT TO RUN LONGHORN AGAIN.

THNX and test if it works

AND A COMMENT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!