program for this

SIRCOOKS

what program can i use, or what can i do to stop my girlfrineds little sister from donwloading stuff and having access to do things. the computer is sa standalone and is not on a network, i can start off by creating a user account gor my girl and protecting it with a password then create one for her lil sis, then set each ac couin t to limited user or whatever right, nbut what else is there i can do and far as programs....maybe there is one that asks for a password everytime dhe starts something up...holla back guys

what type of things is she downloading ?

and ye setting her up with a limited account would prevent her from installing things to the pc and if your worried about content you could use the parental control in xp or you could use a program like net nanny,, to prevent her from viewing certain things

Definetely go with the Limited User account. 

What web browser are you using, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox?

I found these apps (freeware):

Exe Vaccine
Lock Folder
Parental Lock Guard
Parental Filter

It's sad that you will have to put parental software to deal with your girlfriend...

Maybe you should help her get computer skills instead. When I broke with my last girlfriend she was at the level to learn the cut and paste ! :P

It's sad that you will have to put parental software to deal with your girlfriend...

Maybe you should help her get computer skills instead. When I broke with my last girlfriend she was at the level to learn the cut and paste ! :P

read it again :)

what can i do to stop my girlfrineds little sister from donwloading stuff and having access to do things

First just wanna say use the edit button :)

I dont think Limited Users can make changes to the registry.

If you turn off simple file sharing you could change the permissions and deny write and modify for non-administrators for any or all folders :)

Since you are using different user accounts you could edit the other firefox profile. You could edit the file (as administrator) to remove the menu bar (forgot how to do that). Or use certain extensions, for example the Lock Tools Menu Extension to password protect the Tools Menu.

If you need web filtering I reccomend Zone Alarm Security Suite, its also a good firewall and antivirus program.

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Slightly off topic: IMHO Minors can never be left unnatended on the internet. No matter what filtering option you use, nasty stuff will get through.

How about getting a live linux distro [runs entirely from bootable CD], dunno if you'd really have to unplug your HDD [but you could!]. You could even save anything she wanted to on a flash drive or similar - then anything she does whilst connected to the internet will be lost when you power off that session.

[there's always one!! :hello:]

m8rk I know that if I turn on Web Filterting in ZoneAlarm, turn off Real Time Filterting, and Block unrated webpages, its technically impossible for something i dont want to get through. I know its not free, but its the best ive found. Before each page is loaded it checks it against the BlueCoat database.

za14vz.jpg

click on 'Advanced'

za26ox.jpg

Edited by DigeratiPrime

That's certainly a more responsible suggestion than mine DigeratiPrime. You really wouldn't want a minor surfing unprotected at all anyway. I will try to remember that method when setting up private machines.

In my situation working in a school, I think that configuration would be thought too restictive as very many beneficial websites don't rate themselves.