My regular Windows XP theme is gone?!?!

ceez

hey there every1,

for some reason my windows xp theme (greet start, blue taskbar) is gone, I have the regular win2k theme. It's listed under themes on the display properties but it doesnt apply it. Is there a way of reinstalling this theme without a windows repair.

Thanks

Ceez

:thumbup

Check under Performance settings in my computer properties.

Right Click My Computer, then click on Properties

Go to the Advance Tab

Under Performance click on Settings

In the Visual Effects Tab click on the Adjust for best appearance and click ok.

That may let you apply the theme back. :hello:

firefox, it didnt work :(

man this is weird. I dont mind the 2k looking taskbar but i'd like to figure this one out!

any other ideas?!?!

thkz

Just to avoid confusion... are you running WindowsXP or Windows 2000?

I think you're running XP and have the Windows classic theme on, which looks the same as the appearance from Win2K.

Have you checked if the Themes service is running?

Start->Run

Type in services.msc.

Double-click on the Themes service and set the startup type to Automatic and click on the Start button to start the service. You should now be able to select the Luna theme from the Display properties dialog box.

Zxian, you are correct winXP.

Sorry I wanst specific.... I am posting on the windows xp forum!?!?! :)

The service was started and automatic. I even restarted the service, no luck.

The options are:

windows xp

windows classic

my current theme

more themes online

browse

I even browsed to c:\windows\resources\themes\ and selected the luna theme but no change.

argh!

Edited by ceez

Here comes the usual question... did this happen all of a sudden? Have you made any changes recently to your settings/programs?

Have you tried patching the UXTheme.dll file? I know the default Luna theme is supposed to work by default, but it's something that you can still try.

@ Zxian, I've patched the uxtheme.dll months ago. I had 1 theme and have not used it in a long while. I resorted back to the xp theme. All of a sudden I turned on my pc and had the win2k look and was not able to resort to the xp one. weird.

Strange...

I'd suggest doing all the usual checks. AV, spyware, etc etc. Use online scanners on top of your AV program that you have installed (you do have one installed, right? ;) ).

Just to be sure, post a HijackThis log in the Malware Prevention forum to make sure that you're clean. It helps to get that out of the way since malware can have strange effects on computers.