How can XP join to two networks

Takeshi

I have a laptop (XP Pro SP2) which needs to join two different networks (Win 2000 Server domain in one, Win XP workgroup in another) at different places and at different time, what is the best way for doing this?

Obviously I don't want to re-run the Network Setup Wizard everytime I change network.

Any suggestions please! :hello:

One way is to use the Alternate Configuration options within the network connection TCP/IP properties windows. This option is available to you if you are using DHCP for your main domains configuration.

You can put in the IP address information in the Alternate Configuration tab that works with your workgroup, and leave the General tab set to DHCP. What happens then is that if XP cannot contact your networks DHCP server it will automatically assume the IP configuration that you have specified in the Alernate Configuration tab. So while your in the office (assuming you are using DHCP) you are ok to join the domain, and while your at home (on the workgroup) you can still have the same IP/subnet information to continue to communicate there as well. :thumbup

Thanks for the replies.

The DHCP and alternate config should not be a problem here.

The ForensiT User Profile Wizard might be useful but not sure if it addresses the question; perhaps I didn't put it clearly. But I'll certainly give it a try.

Under System Properties > Computer Name

you choose whether it's a Member of Domain or Workgroup.

What I'm really after is, can this be easily switched over, from domain to workgroup and vice versa?

You can add as many different networks as you like. Just hack the registry. It will look like this:

static-2.jpg

One for DHCP and two different subnets. I just plug the laptop into any of the three networks and I connect automatically. Nothing to switch.