$oem$ folder not copied

henrikmc

Hello

Im going to use WinPE to install servers, but are having problems with the $oem$ folder. It seem the installation totally ignores it and the folder is never copied over to the installation drive during unattended installation. (Im installing over network.)

So when the server boots after the preinstallation portion, it fails to find any of the oem files.

It should be noted that this installation runs with no errors with a dos boot disk using winnt.exe

Portion of the unattended file:

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes ;We use this to install hotfixes

OemFilesPath=z:\os\w2k3\winpe ;Path to the $oem$ folder

Attached is the script that installs the OS.

I cant figure out why it is working when using winnt.exe and not with winnt32.exe..

Im at a dead end with no more options left in my head.... :no:

I've even tried to put the $oem$ folder inside the I386 folder but again, its totally ignored.

What am I missing?

/Henrik

w2k3std_winpe.bat.txt

Havent read the file u supplied but I assume ur Z: drive is the mapped network drive that u r storing ur $OEM$ folder on? In that case, u can copy the $OEM$ folder structure down to the local HDD and then point out the path through the OEMFilesPath entry in ur answer file...

and make sure that the path specified is in quotation marks " " if it is to be considered a "long" path... according to the MS deployment tools chm files.

that should do it for u...

Regards from the sausage eater...

:(:(:(

I don't get it. It dosent matter what I do and I fail to see anybody else having this problem at all. So basicly there must be something wrong here with my setup.

I've attached my unattended file here so both files can be looked at. The batch file is attached in my first post.

Maybe I have the wrong expectations? Does the winnt32 not copy the content of the oem folder? or does this only happend later when booting for the first time?

Copy_of_unstdpe.txt

I know it isn't an answer but can you try and put $OEM$ in the i386 folder. This is the standard way and according to this post others have had the same problem then cd booting http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=19810&st=0

Read my first post... I've even tried to put the $oem$ folder inside the I386 folder but again, its totally ignored.

But thanks, very relevant but I tried it and its ignored

U tried to enclose the OEMFilesPath entry with " " marks? and it still doesnt work?

I almost use the same setup as you with my WinPE but I enclose my entry with " " because the install will need it as it will treat it as a long string...

Regards

U tried to enclose the OEMFilesPath entry with " " marks? and it still doesnt work?

Yes, nothing happends with the oem folder using " " or not. I am pulling my hair here right now as this puzzle is killing me. :realmad:

You can put the drivers files anywhere.... you don't need to use the $OEM$ folder.

Simply do an XCOPY of the dir structure you want to the host before you run winnt32. Put that path in your unattend.txt.

The only files I keep in the $oem$ folder is what is in the TEXTMODE dir (Mass Storage Controllers) Every thing else is in a different dir that is much easier to manage and is common to all versions of of the OS. (Standard, Enterprise and Web)

Hope this helps.

Chris

I checked our installation today

The installation is for XP not server and the $oem$ folder is a subfolder to i386. This works for us with the .\i386\winnt32 /unattend:.\i386\unattend.txt /syspart:c: command. We don't even use the OEMFilesPath entry.

I don't know if you can use anything of this but it might be of some value for testing a least

I did have a problem with it not copying the folders and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work, checked and double checked everything in the end I just re-made the .sif from scratch with setupmgr again, then edited for the bits that I needed changing. It worked fine then.

I did mean to go back and work out what actually was different, cos I did pull my hair out for a time, but I just haven't got around to doing it.

So if you haven't remade it might be worth a try. :}

Bec

I'll assume you know the proper structure of the $oem$ folders (ie, the $1 folder representing the drive you're installing Windows to, etc), and point my comments elsewhere...

I've never had to do it, but try putting NTUpgrade=No under [unattended]. NTUpgrade and OEMPreinstall are mutually exclusive, so that may do the trick...