Weird problem Win98SE

usmc-ratman

This is one that I have been wrestling with now for about 3 months. My system is 350mhz, pent II, w/ 256mb ram, running Win98SE. I believe that all my critial updates are installed, except for the one concerning the mouse (can't remember the KB #).

Everything works fine EXCEPT, I can't right click on anything without the system semi-freezing, and it also extends to copy/cutting files from inside explorer windows.

I can do all this manually through a command prompt, but trying to do anything through a context (right click) menu or top line menu in explorer windows locks that window.

I can still use ALT+TAB to switch between windows if there are multiple windows open.

If I have an directory window open and right click, it freezes that window to where it cannot be closed. If I do CTRL+ALT+DELETE and select end task, or use a 3rd party program such as "killbox" or "process explorer", they may close the program so that it does not show up in the task manager, but the image of the window still remains on the screen.

I believe that this may be an error or something wrong in the registry, like maybe the commands that control the context menus, but I have yet to be able to track it down.

Anyone with a similar problem, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I know exactly when the problem started was with the update of the mouse KB I mentioned above (and that topic still remains as a sticky thread in the forums). However, I have uninstalled that update.

I have run all the conventional spyware/adware/antivirus programs, and nothing is identified.

Advanced thanks for any help or suggestions on where to check in the registry or indepth registry key sites that I can review.

John R.

Semper Fi

Stupid question but have you tried to reinstall Windows on top of itself ?

No I haven't - I was trying to do this the least painful way, if you know what I'm talking about :wacko: . If I was to do that I would have to go through the hokey-pokey to get all the software re-installed again.

Thanks for the reply though. If at all possible I'm looking for the area in the registry that address the context menus and those "metrics" as MS likes to call them.

John R.

Semper Fi

There is a known issue with right-clicking on Win98 SE and I have suffered several times from it (I am now on ME on which this problem never showed up). Reinstalling did not help. In my case it always had to see with the new context menu and the only workaround I found was to disable it not to have those freezes when right clicking. You can try it.

To disable it :

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New]
@=""

Paste this code in your text editor and save as disablenew.reg and double click on it to merge it in the registry

To re-enable it :

REGEDIT4

@="{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}"

Anyway if this works it is only a workaround.

As I am much more proficient now in those matters then when I was when those problems arose to me, I might be able to troubleshoot you if I get enough details. Could you export the following registry keys and post them here :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory

Could you as well provide the list of modules loaded by explorer.exe ?

Could you as well provide the list of modules loaded by explorer.exe ?

Not sure how to list those modules other than a screen capture. Suggestion on how to do that? And I will get it posted.

On the registry keys here they are:

Could you export the following registry keys and post them here :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{3EA48300-8CF6-101B-84FB-666CCB9BCD32}]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\CryptoSignMenu]

@="{7444C719-39BF-11D1-8CD9-00C04FC29D45}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{B95057E0-44DB-11CE-A5D1-00608C83BD3F}]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu]

@="{5345A4D5-41EB-4A2F-9616-CE1D4F6C35B2}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Norton WipeInfo]

@="{30424D42-5946-11D2-B8E5-006097C9C6FF}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{B95057E0-44DB-11CE-A5D1-00608C83BD3F}]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Erasext]

@="{8BE13461-936F-11D1-A87D-444553540000}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To]

@="{7BA4C740-9E81-11CF-99D3-00AA004AE837}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory]

@="File Folder"

"EditFlags"=hex:d2,01,00,00

"AlwaysShowExt"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\ddeexec]

"NoActivateHandler"=""

@="[FindFolder(\"%l\", %I)]"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\ddeexec\application]

@="Folders"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\ddeexec\topic]

@="AppProperties"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find\command]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\Explorer.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\shell32.dll,3"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\CopyHookHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\CopyHookHandlers\FileSystem]

@="{217FC9C0-3AEA-1069-A2DB-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\CopyHookHandlers\CDF]

@="{67EA19A0-CCEF-11d0-8024-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\CopyHookHandlers\MyDocuments]

@="{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ExtShellFolderViews]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ExtShellFolderViews\{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]

"PersistMoniker"=hex(2):66,69,6c,65,3a,2f,2f,43,3a,5c,57,49,4e,44,4f,57,53,5c,\

77,65,62,5c,66,6f,6c,64,65,72,2e,68,74,74,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder]

@="Folder"

"EditFlags"=hex:d2,01,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\shell32.dll,3"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec]

"NoActivateHandler"=""

@="[ViewFolder(\"%l\", %I, %S)]"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec\application]

@="Folders"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec\topic]

@="AppProperties"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec\ifexec]

@="[]"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\ddeexec]

"NoActivateHandler"=""

@="[ExploreFolder(\"%l\", %I, %S)]"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\ddeexec\application]

@="Folders"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\ddeexec\topic]

@="AppProperties"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\ddeexec\ifexec]

@="[]"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\command]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\Explorer.exe /e,/idlist,%I,%L"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ExtShellFolderViews]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ExtShellFolderViews\{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]

"PersistMoniker"="file://C:\\WINDOWS\\web\\default.htt"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu]

@="{5345A4D5-41EB-4A2F-9616-CE1D4F6C35B2}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Norton WipeInfo]

@="{30424D42-5946-11D2-B8E5-006097C9C6FF}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Erasext]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\DragDropHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\DragDropHandlers\Erasext]

Also, Incase you are wondering about the registry entries referring to "Erasext", that is the program "Eraser". I've had it on several computers for a few years. I can give you more information if needed.

Thank you for your review and help. By the way, I tried the context menu (right click) after the registry tweak you suggested, but it still froze. I will try it again after rebooting.

John R.

I bet you it's your Norton...I've had a few issues before where it seems like Norton just takes a dive and screws up your computer.

Can you right-click on My Computer or any other system icon and NOT get the freeze? Does it only happen when you right-click on a file?

See, my theory is this...the "Scan With Norton Antivirus" right-click option is damaged...so when you right-click on a file that has the ability to be scanned it's going to hang. If you right-click on an item that can't be scanned, My Computer, Network Neighborhood, etc, then everything is smooth cause Norton isn't being accessed...

Solution? Well, Norton doesn't know/care, and the only way I've fixed it was to uninstall, do an extensive registry and system file clean-up, and then reinstall Norton.

Of course, if you aren't getting these symptoms then it's probably some other problem...good luck!

I bet you it's your Norton...I've had a few issues before where it seems like Norton just takes a dive and screws up your computer......

That sounds great!! Although I don't know of a situation where it would not hang, because after having to do the hokey-pokey each time right-click was used, I just stopped using that function until I could research it further.

I will try this during lunch when I'm back at the house.

I'll let you know...

JR

Yeah, it's probably Norton. I had serious problems with my OSes each time I have tried to install big names all in one security solutions.

If it's Norton the culprit, all you've got to do is to merge the following registry file :

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Norton WipeInfo]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Norton WipeInfo]

It should disable entirely the interaction of this product with your context menu while leaving the rest of its functionality intact.

PS : In case the above does not solve your problem, could you please export the following key and post it here as well :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B95057E0-44DB-11CE-A5D1-00608C83BD3F}

PS : In case the above does not solve your problem, could you please export the following key and post it here as well :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B95057E0-44DB-11CE-A5D1-00608C83BD3F}

Ok - I've changed all the reg keys that you suggested, but it still locks. Also one other symptom....

After it locks I have to use Alt+Tab to switch windows, because the (oh had a brain fart and cant think of the name :o ) the navigation bar at the bottom with the Start button... it freezes also; the start menu wont open, system tray locks. I just noticed this morning after I accidentally right clicked, that the clock even stops updating the time. Kind of funny in a way, because it made me late for work (it was eternally 7:43am).

Anyway.... here is the other key that you requested:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B95057E0-44DB-11CE-A5D1-00608C83BD3F}]

@="Shell Extensions for WordPerfect"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B95057E0-44DB-11CE-A5D1-00608C83BD3F}\InProcServer32]

@="shellwp.dll"

"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

My next step (when I get home tonight) will be to just uninstall norton, clean the reg, and reinstall it. Unless I find a solution pretty soon, I will just work my way through all my software until it is corrected.

I truely thank ya'll for your help

JR

One other thing in ref to the start menu and nav bar...

the system tray and nav bar don't actually freeze up (ie I can still click on things in the sys tray and get a response) UNTIL I try and click on the start menu. Once the start menu is stuck in the 'pushed down' mode, then the bar locks.

just thought i would clarify that.....

JR

Go in Eraser and disable the shell extension ( Edit\Preferences\General\Shell Extension). Try to do the same in Word Perfect as well and see if it helps.

Hey all, just wanted you to know that I have solved the problem...

At about 2:30am this morning I was surfing in a daze, and I ran across a utility that lists and allows you to change any and all the shell extentions in the registry.

The program is called "ShellExView v1.11" I simply disabled ALL the context menus, and then turned them back on one by one until I found the culprit, which turned out to be "Eraser Version 5.7" by www.heidi.ie/eraser.

The program is actually a good program, and I have had it installed on several machines for many months. I guess it just flaked out or got corrupted.

eidenk - Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like you found the solution about 1 hour before me. If you would like to check out the program ShellExView it can be found at www.nirsoft.net.

Anyways.... Thank you all for your suggestions, and many thanks to the site for the education that it provides to those that are willing to learn

Semper Fi

John R :thumbup