Activation OEM XP

oliska

Hi,

I've got an OEM slipstreamed installation (which has not come with my computer) on which I succesfuly used my licence number (which has come with my computer). The problem is with activation - it says my licence number is not valid. What can I do about it?

Thanks,

V.

i suppose that u did the internet activation...well u can only activate over internet just for 3 times. then it says what u saw. so the only thing u can do is to call microsoft and activate via phone.

i ran into this problem today. but the dreadful part is that i formatted the disk and now i can not get through the install process.

i thought it should at least install the os, then just constantly give give me a activation warning until i call ms.

any one have a good suggestion on how to get out of this one?

can i just call ms?

i am only asking because at this point it is just telling me invaild key over and over, i am not getting the call ms screen with all the numbers you have to read them.

help??

Hi guys...

I'm sure there has been plenty of topics and posts on activation with XP - have you searched and browsed through past topics here?? I know its not much fun but you *should* do it first!

Here's one that may apply later on on the topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=319894

@oliska mainly but probably applies to reefer4411too:

boooggy may be on track with this one, although I don't believe he's exactly right.

I "think" that you can activate the same copy/Product Key up to 4 times a year i.e. This *doesnt* mean you can stick it on 4 pc's or give it to your friends, its in case of a problem - thus allowing you to reinstall your OS again and reactivate.

I also believe that you can't activate a few times in a row too - i.e. if you have installed & activated xp (to test a custom/unattended XP CD) and then create a new cd and repeat the process again within a week or so [this is speculaton more than anything] so if you have, this may be why.

Also, if your unattended cd is setup that it skips the welcome to XP introduction part, you may not get the phone numbers and so on, although I can't remember if this is the case or not - but you can use the Sysprep tool [do a search on that if interested] to reseal (make the machine reset to a end-user factory state i.e. like you would have when you buy a machine from a company) it and then if you try activating after going through the usual Welcome screens, and try activating then, you should have more luck and get the phone numbers then.

The Product Key may not be appropriate for the "OEM slipstreamed installation" (depending on what that actually is). You should only be using such a thing if you yourself made it. If someone has given you it, then they (and you) are breaking the EULA, as although you are allowed to customise your own CD for reinstalling purposes, you may NOT distribute it to a 3rd party i.e. a friend. The only exception would be in a organisation where, for example, an administrator would give a copy of a custom CD to a technician who was gonna be installing it on a machine.

And of course, if the media is a "dodgy" or "illegal" copy, then you a) shouldn't be using it and B) it's probably not gonna work - you should use the copy that CAME with the computer.

um.....make sure the letters/numbers you are using are correct. Also, try to make it without the key in - it wont be fully unattended then, but it may make it easier for you.

can i just call ms?

Of course! I'm sure any MS number can point you to the right number if you call it :)

Hope it helps. Regards,

N.