Problem with slipstreaming XP/SP2

Plasma19

Ok, I am trying to install XP Pro and SP2 onto an older desktop HP that I don't use much, but need to upgrade. My friend bought XP Home and I used the 30 day trial on the HP after he installed on his computer to see how it would run on the HP. The trial expired. I have a copy of XP Pro that has SP1. I used the instructions on this forum to create a slipstreamed version of the XP Pro and SP2. It is bootable and works only so far. I get to the main XP installation screen where I press enter to install XP. Then it takes me to the licensing agreement, then I get to the next screen. It goes right to the partitioning crap. I need to get to the screen that lets me repair, but I am not talking about the repair option on the first menu. I had to slipstream in the first place because the XP Pro was not as up-to-date as the XP Home trial. I want to repair, not clean install. It won't let me get to the menu that gives you the option to repair after the licensing menu. What can I do to get to that "repair" menu? Thank you for your help.

It's not a slipstream problem ..

You cannot do a repair install of XP pro over XP home, it's only available if they are the same version

(you also lose repair options if you use an unattended script)

Ok, I tried a version of XP Home with SP2 and was able to repair install. But when I am asked to log in and try to, the same window pops up saying that I have to activate windows - this has been going on ever since the trial ended and I thought by repairing XP it would all work. The version on XP Home is legit, so I do not know why I still have to activate the trial version????

all home version require activation. Pro corp/VLK do not require it.

If you don't have a network connection to get it to activate over the internet, you can use the phone-in option, takes all of 5 mins to a toll-free number. Since you say your copy is legit, you have nothing to worry about.

Ok, I tried a version of XP Home with SP2 and was able to repair install. But when I am asked to log in and try to, the same window pops up saying that I have to activate windows - this has been going on ever since the trial ended and I thought by repairing XP it would all work. The version on XP Home is legit, so I do not know why I still have to activate the trial version????

As I remember (not having done the repair option for a long time) you'll always get it asking to Activate Windows. As you said, its only a trail and you either enter your legit product key into it, to activate it, or you wipe it completely (repairing does not give you another 30 days if thats what you're thinking) to have another 30 days.

Its as simple as that.

Regards,

N.