HELP: Windows XP Explorer.exe Freezes!

martian.biker

My XP Windows Explorer (EXPLORER.EXE) freezes whenever I click on any one of the folders (e.g. "My Documents") on the left panel. No viruses, worms, adware, or other malicious codes detected. Latest SP2 installed.

Tried Repair from CD and sfc /scannow, but no luck. Google turns up unrelated links. :(

PS: Similar freeze is also observed whenever I click in Control Panel with Modern View. I managed to work around this problem by putting Control Panel in Classical View mode. Not sure if the two issues are related.

Please shed me some light, I'm desparate!!!

How long has this been going on?

Has explorer.exe ever worked properly on this system, or has it been like this since you first installed Windows?

Are you running System Restore on this system, and if so have you tried restoring the system to a time when Explorer was working properly.

It sounds to me like some of the system files have been corrupted, and if a repair from CD wasn't successful and you have no restore point, you be out of luck and in need of a re-install.

Yes, my explorer.exe worked at one point, but I cannot pinpoint when it stopped working properly. I agree with you that some files (notably .DLL files) may have been corrupted, but somehow none of these files is detected by sfc /scannow.

Unfortunately, I did not have System Restore enabled.

• 1 year later...

This will be difficult to troubleshot, also because “explorer” is crashing doesn’t mean the problem is with explorer.exe.

I would start looking at other applications that you have running in the background. Anti Virus, Anti Spy ware, anything that might run in the background.

A good tool you can use to troubleshoot this is “msconfig”; you can play with the startup items and see what gives you the best results.

Also I’d make sure all your drivers are updated, and see if there are any hot fixes out there that could resolve issues related to your problem.