Help with InstallShield Error!

Ok so finally ran my uA on a live machine for the first time. Everything was great until I realized the Catalyst control panel was not installed. The drivers seemed to be, but not the CP. I followed Simons guide.

So I tried to manually install it, and got the following:

Internal Failure

Error Number 0x80040707

Description: (blank)

This is then followed by another messagebox saying
Unable to load ATICIM.DLL or ISLAYER.DLL

Ok so frustered I googled. No answers worked for me. I found out the error code is usually an InstallShield error, I checked the reg entries and all seemed fine.

Called InstallShield, all checked fine, told me to keep trying and they would help if I could not fix this. Seemed to me they knew no more than I did.

So next I call ATI (big mistake). They were more interested in getting as much of my information from me than they were helping me. Alas no help.

So I reformatted. Tried a dif XP cd (non uA) SP1 Retail. No problems here.

Tried again with the cd I used to make the uA (non uA) XP SP2 CORP. Fine again.

So now im wondering it might be an application that installs on the uA thats throwing it off. So I reinstall this time selecting no apps (I use WPI). Boot windows check and nope error again.

So now Im convined its something I have done to change the cd, no Idea if there have thrown off the IS or something.

Here is a list of all changes. Tommorow Im going to try one @ a time until I find the culprit, which is going to waste a lot of DVD-R media (drive cant read RW's its messed). If anyone could ID the most likely culprits thanks!

so far tested:

Rename/Disable user accounts(guest and admin) didnt affect it.

Got rid of ATI drivers CP and Radlinker from CD didnt affect it.

Changelog:

ADD - WINNT.SIF in i386

ADD - CUSTOM WINNTBBU.DLL (backup is in i386\backup)

ADD - NOTEPAD.EX_ (backup is in i386\backup)

ADD - tcpip.sys is added to i386

- Added $OEM$ Folder

$OEM$\cmdlines.txt and tweaks.reg

$OEM$\$1\cleanup.cmd

$OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes (custom themes)

$OEM$\$$\System32\ (a set of tools)

$OEM$\$Docs (shortcuts for all users)

$OEM$\$1\Install\ (gets copied to HD)

$OEM$\$1\Install\wpi (location of WPI)

- WMP10 SlipStreamed

asferror.dl_, blackbox.dl_, CEWMDM.dl_, contents.txt, custsat.dl_, DRMClien.dl_, DrmStor.dl_, drmv2clt.dl_, LAPRXY.DL_, logagent.ex_, migrate.ex_, mpvis.DL_

msnetobj.dl_, MsPMSNSv.dl_, MsPMSP.dl_, msscp.dl_, MSWMDM.dl_, Plylst1.wp_, Plylst10.wp_, Plylst11.wp_, Plylst12.wp_, Plylst13.wp_, Plylst14.wp_, Plylst15.wp_, Plylst2.wp_, Plylst3.wp_, Plylst4.wp_, Plylst5.wp_, Plylst6.wp_, Plylst7.wp_, Plylst8.wp_, Plylst9.wp_, qasf.dl_, setup_wm.ex_, unregmp2.ex_, WMADMOD.DL_, WMADMOE.DL_, WMASF.DL_, WMDMLOG.dl_, WMDMPS.dl_, wmerror.dl_, wmidx.dl_, WMNetMgr.dl_, wmp.dl_, wmp.oc_, wmpasf.dl_, wmpband.dl_, wmpcd.dl_, wmpcore.dl_, wmpdxm.dl_, wmplayer.ad_, wmplayer.ex_, wmploc.DL_, wmpshell.dl_, wmpui.dl_, WMSDMOD.DL_, WMSDMOE2.DL_,

WMSPDMOD.DL_, WMSPDMOE.DL_, WMVCORE.DL_, WMVDMOD.DL_,

WMVDMOE2.DL_,

HIVEDEF.INF file has been edited

[AddReg]HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences","AcceptedPrivacyStatement",0x00010003,1

- Deleted:

\SUPPORT

\DOCS

\VALUEADD

\i386\WIN9XMIG

\i386\WIN9XUPG

\i386\WINNTUPG

- Software folder added

I think most likely culprit would be the reg file. So ill try disabling that and running again. Then ill test w.o WMP10 slipstreamed.

Any advise would be really welcome.

Thanks!

I've run into this issue on a client's computer. It's actually a fairly well known bug for people making Installshield wrappers. This mainly pops up when you switch common users and current user paths.

Unhandled Exception 0x80040707

If your paths in the reg are correct but you did change the default locations in your unattended, try creating the actual folder through cmd lines or $OEM$ before executing the offending installer.

Also, make sure you have proper permissions and 'read only' is off (Though I highly doubt that would be the cause if this is happening during an unattended.)

Ive been to that link before, thats where the IS customer service told me to look at. After I checked all my values are normal, yet I still cant install this application. Something I am doing is changing the system so that it cant work.

Going to be a pain in the a** to check all my changes :(

If your paths in the reg are correct but you did change the default locations in your unattended, try creating the actual folder through cmd lines or $OEM$ before executing the offending installer.

Also, make sure you have proper permissions and 'read only' is off (Though I highly doubt that would be the cause if this is happening during an unattended.)

Paths are correct in the reg. When would I have changed the default locations in my unAttended?

How do I make sure that read only if off for my uA?

in C:\Application Data\All Users\

I was missing the "Programs" and the "Programs\Startup"

In fact its missing in Default and Admin and the User account. So Im thinking this may be affecting it.

here is my cleanup.cmd

@ECHO OFF
cmdow @ /HID
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::    Users: Guest/Admin      ::
:: Rename and Disable guest User
net user guest {s2J234OPH}
renuser guest notguest
net localgroup guests notguest /delete
:: Rename Administrator
renuser Administrator Chris
net user /add Administrator /active:no /passwordchg:no /passwordreq:yes
netuser Administrator /pwnexp:y
net user Administrator {s2J234OPH}
net localgroup users Administrator /delete
:: Disable ASP User
net user aspnet /delete

::    Post-Install Cleanup  ::
RD /S /Q "%systemdrive%\Install"
RD /S /Q "%systemdrive%\drivers"
RD /S /Q "%systemdrive%\ATI"
:: Removing Junk
RD /S /Q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\PrintMe Internet Printing"
RD /S /Q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Java Web Start"
RD /S /Q "%AllUsersProfile%\My Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures"
RD /S /Q "%AllUsersProfile%\My Documents\My Music\Sample Music\"
RD /S /Q "%AllUsersProfile%\My Documents\My Music\Sample Playlists\"
:: Remove the standard wallpapers
DEL "%systemroot%\*.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\*.jpg"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\*.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\*.scr"

:: Delete IconPackager Short Cuts
IF EXIST "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\IconPackager.exe" (
RD /S /Q "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Object Desktop\Forums & Links"
RD /S /Q "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Object Desktop\Object Desktop"
DEL "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Object Desktop\IconPackager\End User License Agreement.lnk"
DEL "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Random Icon Package.lnk"
:: Delete Default Themes
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\Argis"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\Block OS HangOn"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\Blue Shine"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\CopperDeck2"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\FauxS-X (Green)"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\NeXT"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\Nicons Azure v2"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\odnt"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\PixeloramaPro"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\Polymer_icpk"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\Shine"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\wbmIV"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\White Glass Folders"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\__MACOSX"
RD /S /Q "%programfiles%\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\Themes\Excellence Collection Packaged" )

:: Cyberlink cleanup
DEL "%programfiles%\CyberLink\PowerDVD\OLRSubmission\OLRSubmission.exe"

::         Shortcuts          ::
:: Remove the following Shortcuts from Start Menu
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Catalog.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Yahoo*"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Set Program Access and Defaults.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Update.lnk"
DEL "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Ex*"
DEL "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook Re*"
DEL "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Stop Start*"

:: Remove the following Shortcuts from Start Menu\Programs
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Movie Maker.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\CyberLink PowerDVD\On-Line Registration.lnk"
RD /S /Q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Reader Speed-Up"

:: Remove the following shortcuts from the Desktop
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Java Web Start.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Microsoft AntiSpyware.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Cyberlink PowerDVD.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Yahoo! Messenger.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Registry Mechanic.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\Nero StartSmart.lnk"
DEL "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Try Other Games*"

:: Remove the following shortcuts from the Quicklaunch
DEL "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Ad-Watch SE Professional.lnk"
DEL "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Launch Internet Explorer Browser.lnk"
DEL "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Nero StartSmart.lnk"

:: Add to Quicklaunch
SET SP=%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%MSN Messenger 7.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" )
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\ultraedit\uedit32.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%UltraEdit.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\ultraedit\uedit32.exe" )
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\Cerberus\Cerberus.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%Cerberus FTP Server.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\Cerberus\Cerberus.exe" )
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\eclipse\eclipse.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%eclipse.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\eclipse\eclipse.exe" )
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\FileZilla\FileZilla.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%FileZilla.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\FileZilla\FileZilla.exe" )
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\mIRC\mirc.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%mIRC Invision.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\mIRC\mirc.exe" )
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\NetIntellGames\Net Chess 5\chess.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%Net Chess.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\NetIntellGames\Net Chess 5\chess.exe" )
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Photoshop.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%Photoshop CS.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Photoshop.exe" )
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\Winamp\winamp.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%Winamp.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\Winamp\winamp.exe" )
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\Kazaa Lite Resurrection\klrun.exe" ( shortcut /f:"%SP%Kazaa Lite Resurrection.lnk" /a:c /t:"%PROGRAMFILES%\Kazaa Lite Resurrection\klrun.exe" )
shortcut /f:"%SP%Documents.lnk" /a:c /t:"%UserProfile%\My Documents"

:: Add to desktop
::shortcut /f:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Shutdown.lnk" /a:c /t:"shutdown" /p:-s -f -t 04 -c "Shutting Down"
::shortcut /f:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Restart.lnk" /a:c /t:"shutdown" /p:-r -f -t -04 -c "Rebooting"

:: Remove the startup items
RD /S /Q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
RD /S /Q "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

:: Move certain Program Files entries to other locations
::IF EXIST "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Invision 2.0" ( XCOPY /S /Q "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Invision 2.0" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\mIRC"
::RD /S /Q  "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Invision 2.0" )

:: Remove log files
:: Remove the temp folders for cleanup

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 30 -c "Windows XP will now restart in 30 seconds..."

EXIT

I'm going to try installing and when WPI comes up just rebooting so that the cleanup is never called, this way I can test to make sure its not the cleanup.

Any additional help would be not forgotten, thankyou!

::    Users: Guest/Admin      ::

:: Rename and Disable guest User

net user guest {s2J234OPH}

renuser guest notguest

net localgroup guests notguest /delete

:: Rename Administrator

renuser Administrator Chris

net user /add Administrator /active:no /passwordchg:no /passwordreq:yes

netuser Administrator /pwnexp:y

net user Administrator {s2J234OPH}

net localgroup users Administrator /delete

:: Disable ASP User

net user aspnet /delete

Just wondering but if your code deletes the guest account priveleges after renaming it (effectively removing account) but the you have the same code for your renamed Adminaccount....

Wouldn't that make it essentially think there is no accounts on the computer thus error out since most programs need an admin to install??

No that code is fine, I found the error lines.

:: Remove the startup items

RD /S /Q "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

RD /S /Q "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

For some reason invoking these screwed the entire thing up.

Start up is a critical folder. Windows even whines when you try to delete it in the start menu. Don't go overkill w/ your cleanup. Deleting as much as possible (even empty folders) can have a dramatic global effect just to save a few kb's and a few less files to look at.