Get rid of thumbnail view

HyperHacker

No, it did not work :(

T13 - ah, that. No, when I have to reinstall, I will instal W2k witch did not have this extremly annoying problem ...

And did you tried it and do it works for you? After all a reinstall is need, witch is somewhat clumsy to test...

Anyway, maybe then we have to extend that into the other registers trees only? If that help, I'm all for it.

After reboot, open My Pictures and hopefully you'll have list-view!

I hope we understand each other there - when I open with windows explorer (just normal browse My Computer, D, any dir...) I see the list view as I want.

The problem come when any application open the load/save requester. In order to move the default save directory to D: root, I made the root of D: the "My Pictures" directory. Pictures are then saved where I want w/o directory selection, but as side effect each app open requester on D: beginning with the cursed damned thumbnails :(

But I feel like repeating myself, but just to be clear once again - open save dialog default view IS a problem, nothing else.

Possible workaround - modification to the IE that let me specify other dir (D: !!!) to defaulty open when saving pictures that the **** My Pictures system dir with all the thumbnails.

Witch one is easier for you ;) But I looked on other forums and it looks like ppl would love to turn them off, just like me - have no idea how to make the settings STICK at least... :blushing::(

Here is a slight possibility, I may be wrong, but you never know this could be it

Within the "My Pictures" folder the ultra hidden file entitled "desktop.ini"

If you modify the contents of that file to reflect another folder's "desktop.ini" (eg another folder which you like the settings for).

This could potentially resolve your issue.

Nice idea! :) Unfortunately there is no desktop.ini file on my whole D: drive. Hmm. What then about the original location of "My Pictures" in C:? Bingo. But what to do with this?!

[DeleteOnCopy]Owner=trodas

Personalized=39

PersonalizedName=Obrázky

[DeleteOnCopy.A]

PersonalizedName=Obrázky

[DeleteOnCopy.W]

PersonalizedName=Obr+AOE-zky

[.ShellClassInfo]

InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12688

IconFile=%SystemRoot%\System32\mydocs.dll

IconIndex=-101

Anyway, for english users, there is patch to the comdlg32.dll file that help!!! Enjoy this nice patch!

http://www.netcult.ch/elmue/ElmueSoft-en.htm

Sadly that not help me... :(:realmad:

• 3 weeks later...

So, the best results I got using the patcher ( http://www.netcult.ch/elmue/ElmueSoft-en.htm ) - it actually works (unless you open the My Pictures dir comming from my computer folder, then it show still the cursed thumbnails) yet I had to get a english version of the cursed comdlg32.dll file. And what it worser, it insist on DETAILS view, while I desperately want LIST view. Autor says he don't want add LIST view option, tough... A big difference for me, but W2k solved that. By by, XP crap...

c3366438-the_internet_has.jpg

So, in the end, I just installed Win2k back and enjoy GREAT operation system now :DProblem solved. Rest in peace, XP.

• 6 months later...

Aahrrrgggghhhhhhhhh. I was hoping someone had some clues to a solution for the real problem here, but it doesn't look like it. I've been searching hopelessly everywhere. Hardly anyone asks the question right. Well, so they are not masters of wordcraft. Can't help that, I guess.

Here is my version of The Great Sucking Thumb Dialog Dilemma:

Whenever I use a Microsoft Office open/save dialog with the intention of finding an image (from the Insert menu), it will always open in thumbnail view, no matter what folder is designated as the My Stupid. Any other kind of file, fine, but go for a picture and the bloody Office crudbox preloads every freekin subfolder while I'm frantically groping for the view options.

The problem is the Office dialogs, not the Common Dialogs as in comdlg32.dll. The ElmueSoft dialog cracker does not touch the Office dialogs.

What I have been trying to find out is what file those little b@st@rds come from so I can torture it with a red-hot hex editor. I'm mad! I have to use Word because other people don't understand anything else, but I will not put up with Micro$ith's "Let me do everything for you so you can remain an ignorant nube" BS.

The best workaround I have for getting a picture into a Word doc is to go around from "outside" and copy and paste. I can browse sensibly with IrfanView if I want thumbnails.

Other than that...since I can't get rid of them, I put nothing in any of the My Stupid Folders but shortcuts to the real archives. That way the dialog doesn't drag such heavy butt and my files are a lot safer.