windows explorer details problems

Vietfobster

using pro sp2 with nlite "lite" option

i clean installed my OS and now when i go into "details" view and display "artist" and "title"to view my mp3s, its blank. last time, it showed the appropriate details. but now, it doesn't show anything. also, when i rite click the mp3s, it doesn't show the tags.

how do i fix this?

I can repeat that exact dialog by making a 0 byte mp3 file and doing properties on it.

I can also repeat it by removing the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3\shellex\PropertyHandler" key. The atached .reg file is what my PropertyHandler key looks like with WinXP Home and Media Player 10. Try importing it in to your registry.

I don't use FooBar, so I don't know if it would mess up anything with its installation. Backup your "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3\shellex\PropertyHandler" key before trying that reg file.

Could you post or attach a reg file for each of the following keys exported from your registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mp3file

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{875CB1A1-0F29-45de-A1AE-CFB4950D0B78}

Could you also post a reg file for this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.mp3

> yea...i cant find the last one tho

Does "shmedia.dll" exist in your System32 directory? It is the "Media File Property Extractor Shell Extension" (You might have to show Hidden Files to see it.) If it does, try running "regsvr32 shmedia.dll" [without the quotes].