Little Advice

Evil Homer

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what type of processor I should get in a new laptop. I'm on a budget and just wondering about a couple different types of processors. First how are the AMD Athlon 64 processors? Particularly 3200+ or 3500+. Second are the Pentuim M or Celeron M speeds comparable to desktops or why do they only go to around 2GHz, whereas you can get P4's around 3GHz for a notebook? Which is better between the three of those? How much of an improvement is the mobile chip from the P4 chip?

Thanks for all the help

I would advice Centrino tech ... Althought it has a 533 FSB the technology was made for good cooling, therefore, better performance ...

Im gonna buy a new laptop also, and im going for Acer (In my opinion, its the best in price/quality) ... The model im looking in is TravelMate8000

Cya :thumbup

it's a sound choice Gouki

*points at his own signature*

;)

I decent machine - get the extendeed 3 yr warranty with accidental damage if ur budget will allow it :) its better in the long run. I cant stand touchpads so i got a usb optical mouse which works great without any 3rd party drivers (remember there's no ps/2 port's on the model i have - unless u buy the EZ dock)

Regards,

N.

hehe Thanks - I know.

A little annoyance that i've posted here - which doesnt affect ur general browsing of the internet, but is more annoying for other stuff.

I still wholeheartedly recommend it hehe :D

Regards,

N.

****! Been reading all the review ... That really is something!

I think im going for it ... Because the price difference from the one I wanted (I was doing some modifications to the original rig) and this one, is not that big ... Really thinking about going to this one!

About that little wireless thing ... Thats minimal!

;) Cya man!

good - its a great machine.

I pitted it against the recent new Dell laptop and altho i obviously couldnt match it regarding screen size and vga RAM, to get the same stuff as i got with this laptop wud have upped the cost by a 3rd or more of the price of this lol

to have bluetooth, a smartcard reader and a card reader inside it was some great extra's. The widescreen is great for watching DVD's :D I had a operation recent so its so great to be able to lie here and have everything i need in front of me.

....i cud go on all night about it, but i wont.

Gaming it performs admirably too - its better than my desktop rig lol The widescreen stretches some games tho - LOTR:TBFME & C&C:Generals-ZH get stretched, but its minimal so long as you up the resolution high enough. Cant say the same for all games but its great to have a few machines on it and have a main desktop pc for games.

I got plenty to do on it besides gaming hehe

The security features are good to....

Just buy it lol ;)

wireless thing *is* annoying - minimal for general browsing, but annoying for my uses.

5.5M its changed to now!!!!! Its running off AC too lol with all the settings boosted for max performance (Intel settings that is lol)

Anyhow...

Regards,

Nath

Lol! Thanks for the reply and all the info in it.

Im basicly want the computer for work, I doubt I use it for gaming ... tho, gotta use the widescreen for movies.

The smartcard reader and a card reader inside is something that is very handy to me ... Since I have allot of things that use smartcard.

Not needing to charge every hour that passes is great, Im gonna use in class, so I doubt my desk has electricity.

One thing I really liked about this laptop is the RAM. 1GB DDR 533 is wonderfull!

Oh well ... It just looks great for what I need! :D

Im gonna talk to the guy on the local shop tomorrow ... The only problem about this laptop is his price ...

2362,00€ = ~3,000.00 USD

Well, guess thats the price to pay for a great machine! :D

hehe I did get carried away with my post - I was only meaning its good for gaming too.

I (after i put all the stuff on it i need - only had it a week heh) use it for browsing, chatting, gaming (as u know lol), office stuff, networking, development work, and web designing and so far, its made me happy every step of the way :)

That seems a little pricey compared to what i got it for, but i'm not too good on exchange rates and so on.

Also, I'm not too hot on what suppliers there are out there in portugal altho a friend of mine who runs a pc business is: www.epadvancedcomputers.com (tell him "Nathan from Wales sent you his way" and/or to anyone who gets in touch hehe) and I have a friend who lived out in portugal for while - tho it appears he's sleeping right now, or i'd ask him, but there we go.

I had...er...a little fun with the smartcard stuff hehe but i'm not gonna go into detail here hehe after all, we're sort of off topic here...

@Evil Homer:

Sorry dude for digressing - got caught up in the moment of lovely laptop hehe

I'm not a expert in laptop's - and unless there's some really rich ppl on the forum, i'd wager that not everyone has got more than one to to make a comparison with.

I'd have to say it all depends what you want it for....

I wanted a decent performer (not just in games) coupled with a great battery life - as i see it, no point being mobile if the battery wont even last a trip to somewhere hehe

I believe the P4/AMD Sempron/64's are 1.5-2 hr machines - powerful but not very mobile, while the centrino machines overall can be pretty powerful but have a lot higher battery life.

Again, I'm not saying this is the case...period., but just the general feel of it all.

Take that in mind - have a look at some good review sites and even look at some online shops that have customers review's on them to see what's hot, and whats not.

Hope this helps,

Many regards,

Nath.

no problem.

you'll have to weigh it up, but it all depends on what intensive apps u mean.

Even tho the highest Pentium M you can get is a 2.1G -ish, the performance it gives is great, and most apps will be happy enough with it.

You could hang on for the new AMD mobile-based laptop's coming out - rivaling the centrino/intel stuff. They could be pretty good and being 64bit, you'll be able to have the 64bit ver of windows on them too :)

All the best.

Nath.