formatting

martinmon

:realmad: sorry this may seem like a stupid question but i am on microsoft word on windows xp. i saved my word document and as it returned to the screen all of the formatting was messed up. as in the double line spacing had dissapeared, the pictures had dissapeared and were replaced with a symbol that is like a right angled r . it wont allow me to copy and paste it in for sum reason. also my page numbers have appeared like this !! PAGE (the backwords p thingy) and sum other symbol which again i cannot paste in. any help would be extremely appreciated as this is for my dissertation which has to be handed in on monday and i am still a long way from completion.

i have looked at pretty much all of the menu options and cant see anything that would cause this.

please reply to this post with any suggestions :no:

:realmad:  sorry this may seem like a stupid question but i am on microsoft word on windows xp. i saved my word document and as it returned to the screen all of the formatting was messed up. as in the double line spacing had dissapeared, the pictures had dissapeared and were replaced with a symbol that is like a right angled r . it wont allow me to copy and paste it in for sum reason. also my page numbers have appeared like this !! PAGE (the backwords p thingy) and sum other symbol which again i cannot paste in. any help would be extremely appreciated as this is for my dissertation which has to be handed in on monday and i am still a long way from completion.

i have looked at pretty much all of the menu options and cant see anything that would cause this.

please reply to this post with any suggestions  :no:

Have you used CCleaner, by chance? I know there's a bug that effects settings.

If you have access to another computer then try to open up the .doc on the other computer. If everyting appears as it should then the problem is with Word and not with the document. If it is a Word program then click help and detect and repair. If it is a document problem then you will have to go through some of the formatting menus to see which one is screwed up.

thanks for ur reply. im on a built in network at a university. i wouldnt be able to tell as im on a different computer now. is there any chance of recovering this? the thing is i havnt changed any format settings. therefore i gues it is likely to be a virus of somekind. but to my knowledge the uni virus protection is extremely high and therefore i wouldnt have expected this to of happened. :blink:

it has to be with the document now then i gues as it is the same on a different computer. i cant understant how the pictures have dissapeared tho and the page numbers have changed. just seems as tho formating would not be the cause of these.

ok problem fixed not solved this time. managed to find a backup copy. i gues the morale of the story is to run ur files of the hard drive not ur portable media storage like usb sticks. this way ur backups will be good. PHEW!!!! thanks for replys guys