NAV2005

hohner

Hi,

I have followed the instructions set out in this post http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t32240.html

Unfortunately I cannot tell whether this worked or not. The problem is that as far as I can tell Nortons was installed but the Virtual PC is now so slow that it never loads its system tray icon.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? I even increased the Virtual PC RAM to 800MB but this made no difference at all. Windows explorer pages are also now pain stakingly slow to open and shutting down is near impossible.

Please Help

<item display="Norton Antivirus 2005">
 <fileio-copy display="Activating">
   <from>#systemdrive#\Install\NAV2005</from>
   <dest>#systemdrive#\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC</dest>
   <mask>symlcrst.dll</mask>
   <recurse>true</recurse>
   <replace>true</replace>
   <wait>true</wait>
 </fileio-copy>

<execute display="Registering">
   <program>REGEDIT</program>
   <arguments>/S #systemdrive#\Install\NAV2005\navreg.reg</arguments>
   <wait>true</wait>
 </execute>

<execute display="Installing">
   <program>#systemdrive#\Install\NAV2005\NAVSETUP.EXE</program>
   <arguments>/qn /noreboot REBOOT=ReallySuppress</arguments>
   <wait>true</wait>
 </execute>
 </item>

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082\0000000f\0000001b]
"Key"="my key here"

I figured I would test this on real time on a real pc. So, I burnt a copy of my xpcd off and ran setup after booting from the dvd.

This time, there were no non-responsive programs, no hanging windows and all seemed to be in order, until of course my NAV2005 window popped up asking me to activate. :no:

Why didn't it activate during the install?

I'm going to try changing the order, maybe copy of the activation dll after install instead of before will work.

Please, someone that has succeeded with this one, help me.

Edit: Changed the process order to: Apply Reg entry, Install program, then copy activation file. Results are the same though. Program is installed but still requires activation :}

This is the exact processes I use and it works.. everytime.

1st thing you need to know is that is you want the activation to work you MUST install and activate NAV on the SAME pc youre going to be using your UA install CD with, BEFORE installing via your UA CD. After its been installed and activated, you want to grab the file:

%Program Files%\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccpd-lc\symlcrst.dll

Next, open RegEdit and export the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CCPD-LC\KStore\00000082\0000000f\0000001b]
"Key"="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

For your install, do the following:

1. Copy that 'symlcrst.dll' to the location you got it from

2. Import that Reg file with your NAV key

3. run the NAV install with the following parameters:

NAVSETUP.exe /qn /noreboot REBOOT=ReallySuppress

Thats it. Again, what people have the most trouble with is trying to use this for another PC, or in your case Virtual PC / VMWare.. it wont work simply because that symlcrst.dll file is Machine specific. So the only way you can get it to work, is by installing on that other PC / Virtual PC 1st, Activate and Register it, then grab the symlcrst.dll file from it and make sure its that exact file thats copied back into place for that particular pc.

I use my UA install for 2 pcs, so what I did is after installing and activating NAV on each pc, I grabbed each of those files, then created the same folder structure found in Program Files, in a subdirectory, which resides in the Install Dir of NAV. I then SFX the entire installdir up and extract it to %systemdrive%\NAV2005 during RunOnceEx, which then launches a batch file 'setup.cmd'.

So for example, in my NAV2005 directory, where I have the NAV installer, I also have 2 other folders- each named the same name as the hostname of the PCs' I install NAV on (1 called Shuttlebox, the other Durexbox). In those folders I then have 'Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccpd-lc' and the dll specific to that particular PC.

Finally, I use the following code to copy the right dll based on the PCs' hostname:

SET NAVSRC=%systemdrive%\NAV2005
If %computername%==DUREXBOX GOTO _DUREX
If %computername%==SHUTTLEBOX GOTO _SHUTTLE

:_DUREX
XCOPY /E /H /R /I /Y  "%NAVSRC%\durexbox\*" "%programfiles%"
GOTO _SETUP

:_SHUTTLE
XCOPY /E /H /R /I /Y  "%NAVSRC%\shuttlebox\*" "%programfiles%"
GOTO _SETUP

Hope this helps.

Thanks Durex.

The most common problem people have trouble with, ie; the symlcrst.dll file being machine specific, is the reason my install wouldn't work.

I tried again using the symlcrst.dll from the same machine and it worked, some people claim that the activation is not machine specific and that they have successfull installed on several machines ... not sure how much truth would be in these statements.

I wasn't sure if my code was correct for the fileio-copy in my xml either so I created a sfx archive which can be called as a program and will place the dll file in the correct location when ran.

• 1 month later...

There's more than one flavor of the retail version of NAV2005. There's one that lets you activate it on one PC. There's one that lets you activate it on three. And I think there's one that lets you activate it on five.

The people that have copied over symlcrst.dll and successfully installed/activated NAV on multiple PCs probably had a version that lets you activate it on more than one computer.

PS-

It's actually possible to change which retail version you have by simply modifying a couple files (If I remember correctly, one was a DAT and the other was an INI). I found this out on accident when I was studying the differences between the downloadable trial version and my retail disc. This board isn't the most appropriate place to say how it's done, though.