How to convert 2003 to a workstation

Hello BigDadddy !

How shut i setup WindowsXP Home so it shut be more stabil ? and to you it_ybd my friend have not jet sign the partner contract with MS it is not 100% sure he will do it because he want to read the teams befor he do it and he allready think the teams is something he can`t agree to.

Best regards

The-Matrix

Edited by the-matrix

Matrix

Check your drivers, and disable any unnecesary services, try to not install uneded programs.. How old is your instalation anyway?

To ALL

Could Win XP be more stable than Win HOME?

My drivers work as they shall and noon unnecesary services is running maybe i instal to many programs at last my installation is from the 15 April this year befor i instal it i formattet xp and when reinstal windows.

Edited by the-matrix

Did U do a surface test on your HDD, and check your MEMORY with MEMTEST and test your CPU with PRIME95?

Could be a hardware thing?

When U say that if U have many programs open, does it freze when a speciall program is open or just random?

What does Task Manager say about memory usage when U open so many windows'

• 4 weeks later...

:w00t:

Unbelievable ... Windows Server 2003 is the best OS i've seen in years ... And... I've been around everything almost...

I work with computers daily and I must say that in the company i work for (Computer Shop/Programmer Shop) we have windows Server 2003 in 3 machines:

1 Main Server ; 1 Backup Server and my work post.

XP is not stable at all altough hard work from MS to make it safer and more stable.

In terms of security and viruses / adware and such XP is to Server 2003 around 302 infection on xp to 4 (max 10) on server 2003. This with the same tasks, and usage in both basicly.

Also its extremely flexible ... If I was "loaded" as you said It would DEFINITLY be in my buying list for personal use ...

I run 2k3 and XP Pro and for most things I think 2k3 kicks XPs butt.

In my case if I could get reliable sound in 2k3 I'd probably never use XP again. In fact I'd probably un-install it.

I have the same problem of having too many apps open crashing XP. Well I need them because Im using them. Thats why I have 2 gigs of memory and 8 HDDs and an uber processor. I have checked task manager and found I had plenty of memory left (600+M) and the CPU had plenty of idle left. XP just gets in over it's head. It doesn't seem to properly allocate resources and when it gets into a corner it just quits.

2k3 can handle the load. But just lacks a couple of things to eliminate XP from my computer entirely. Now that Longhorn has been tasked to the 2K3 kernal this may only be a year and a half away.