windows 2003 SP1 unstable machine

osont

I dont want to add to any flaming here but MerlinTheWizard was right - I know I wouldnt backup everything on our DC, just to install a slipstreamed server 2003 SP1 CD hehe

Why not?

You try explaining it to the 300+ users of the system, plus the time it would take putting everything back as it was hehe

klasika is also right in saying not to mislead others into not installing a Service Pack on a OS - after all, by definition, a service pack is a pack of services lol which should be treated as such - hotfixes and so on.

So long as you have the system as clean, drivers up-to-date & as stable as it can possibly be before running the SP install, then it should be fine to preform the SP install.

In a server's case, it shouldnt be used for anything else than serving - as in what it is designed for. Installing Office on a DC is, for example, a silly idea - use a workstation for that and other software.

In short: SP's are good - bar none lol

And like mentioned, if you have a problem when installing, you can call MS for free help. Can't say fairer than that really :)

Regards everyone :)

Nath.

Sure that is your opinion but i think windows server 2003 as a workstation work much much much much more stabile when XP Home i Don`t no about XP Pro i have never try it if ms made where end user OS as stabile as windows server 2003 as a workstation i don`t think where wouth be all problems where is with other version of Windows but this is only my opinion.

a fair point - the server OS' have always been more stable - they need to be after all hehe - than the desktop/workstations (tho i believe NT 4 workstation was pretty stable but never saw that os it myself).

All that said, if treated right, XP is as stable as you can get, providing you keep it up to date, firewalled, and protected from viruses & malware.

Also, only my opinion too, and you right, microsoft should make its desktop os' as stable as its server counterparts - although they do get more crap thrown at them than servers get.

All the best,

Nath.

Sure with the nanny SP2 that made a lot of trouble for my home network (router) and the pc`s cot not see each other anymore and it make my internet connection much much more slower and a lot of my software programs was coming witherror messages

and some stop workking in my opnion XP SP2 for novice and people where never have learn anything about where pc and for people that don`t have the time to learn or is not interesed in it in my opnion learing by doing is the best way to learn anything about it or in all other ways in life.

I have change the letters to small.

Edited by the-matrix

Pls dont use all capitals - it is considered shouting and you may get in trouble if you so this.

Not sure I followed all of that, but I'm also of the belief that learning by doing is the best way - with a few docs and guides along the way, you can accomplish most things....

...tho I dont think it apply's to surgery and nuclear physic's lol ;)

I'm not gonna comment on SP2 now as thats not the topic of conversation - and I'm sure there's plenty of topics on how good it is (or not) in people's opinions.

Regards,

N.

I also had problems with SP1. One application I use is DVD Shrink. As soon as SP1 is installed Shrink stops working. System gets real unstable. I am running without SP1 now and she's stable.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with SP 1 for windows SBS server 2003

I'm trying to set-up a windows small business server 2003 on a PIII dual processor based motherboard

(ASUS P2B-D + dual PIII 550 Mhz + 1 Gh RAM + Adaptec RAID SATA 2410 SA with 4x160 Gb in Raid 5 + 3Com dual port NIC 3C982-TXM + Madge Token-Ring PCI Mk2 + Adaptec AHA-2940 UW with HP DDS4).

I start with a clean install, all goes well until the moment that I install SP1 for Windows Server 2003.

I reinstalled 4 times (clean install) and every time after SP1 after 15 mins running when networkrequests are done for internet or exchange or other requests I get blue screens...

I don't know which security updates will go or fail my system. Today it's running for 2 days without any update...

• 1 month later...

Getting DVD Shrink to run on Windows 2003 server SP1

If you have a 64 bit processor, Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2003 server SP1, then you may come across the problem that some applications will not work - they may not even begin as a process. This is mainly due to DEP - or Data Execution Prevention.

DEP is set to run by default and can be usefull in protecting you from mallicious code, but you can add exceptions for certain programs by completing the following:

Follow these steps to add an exception for the application:

When the application fails, click the Advanced button.

In the Data Execution Prevention dialog box, click Help protect all programs except.

Click to select the check box next to the application, and then click Apply.

When you are prompted to restart your system, click OK two times, and then restart your system.

You can also add an exception for the application by using System Properties in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK to open Control Panel.

Click the Advanced tab, click Performance, and then click Settings.

In Performance Options, click the Data Execution Prevention tab.

Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select, and then click Add.

In the Open dialog box, locate and then click the application.

Click Open, click Apply, and then click OK. When you are prompted to restart your system, click OK.

Credit and more info: Microsoft

Anyway, It worked for me, so good luck! :lol: