Comp Wont start

indianarchie

hi all..

I have a problem here...

When I start my computer, it detects all the drives etc...and then the Windows XP progress bar appears, showing that it is loading. So far, so good.. Now after the progress bar, it gives me a blue screen with the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Unmountable_Boot_Volume 

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a neww installation, ask your hardware or sftware manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable any BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and select Safe mode.

Technical Information:

Stop: 0x000000ED (0x80AA34B0, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )

I have not installed or removed any software. All i did was restart the computer and i got this error message. I opened the case and checked the connections, but they seemed to be secure. However, i am not into hardware stuff..so i may have madea mistae in chking the connections.

Can someone guide me as to wat i shd do.. Is it a problem with the hard disk, or is it a software problem? how do i solve it?

Pls help guys..My comp has many important files on it besides my email . Its also my enterainment center!!

Wat shud i do?

Edit: I have a 10 GB HDD, Windows XP Pro, 128 MB RAM, P3 550 MHZ processor, Intel 810 motherboard.

You have to get some sort of a diagnostic/repair software that would boot your computer up (not your Windows) and analyze/fix the problem. If this is some sort of a software error, a program like ERD Commander 2005 can help you.

You can get it here:

http://www.winternals.com/products/repaira...002.asp?pid=erd

Downside is - it costs 150$...

I don't know of another solution if you don't have the Windows CD...

Check this article by Microsoft, which explains how to deal with your problem or a similar one:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...kd_tro_evwd.asp

If it doesn't help you, keep searching the MS Windows XP help area and you could find very helpful instructions.

Also, run Google searches under REPAIRING A DAMAGED WINDOWS-XP or WINDOWS-XP BOOT ERROR or any other phrasing of the same idea.

run chkdsk /p/r on the drive. I've seen this BSOD alot, and chkdsk fixes it every time. As far as how to access chkdsk if you dont have a windows cd, I'm not sure, but you might be able to borrow a friends or something. If you get a XP CD, than boot your system to it, then select repair at the first prompt. Once in the recovery console, you can run "chkdsk /p/r" to fix your problem.

Either boot from xp cd and run from repair console, or make a BartPE cd and run it from there, or mount drive in another machine with a functioning os as a secondary drive and run chkdsk on it from the other os.

This is also typical of systems which have failing hard drives.

• 3 weeks later...

Final word on the matter: My HDD didnt get fixed with the chkdisk command, and failed to load recovery console. It shows C:\ as an unknown partition. The free space on C:\ has been shown as 4.8 gb, whereas previously it was only 200 MB free. THe engineer says my HDD has developed bad clusters.

Some of the data has been recovered, though my e-mail and address book hads not been recovered :(

Got the HDD replaced with a new HDD. Any chance that i can recover data from the old drive yet?

You could have the old drive in the machine to get the work off - surely it will appear in windows as drive D or whatever.

Just make sure that you set it to boot off the new/primary hard drive in the BIOS.

Not 100% on this if you get "unknown partition" tho - although I think thats been corrected ...er..right?

Probably no good to ya but I am a little tired this morning hehe ;)

Regards,

N.