Problem Detector

tubui

Alright, you guys know how when you break your computer or when it doesn't boot up, you take to ethier Best Buy or one of those computer repair shops? What I was wondering is, how do they find out the problem wheter it is the motherboard problem, graphics, processor, memory, or hard drive? What kind of tools did they use?

Well, I have a computer and it doesn't boot up at all! I want to know the problem. I'm looking for a tool that detects it, don't care how much it is, I want to know if its the power supply that is causing it not to boot up, or the memory, motherboard or processor.

If you know of a tool, please share. I'm looking for products you plug into the computer, not programs.

As a tech I don't use any. At a cost of $500us+ it's cheaper to keep a handful of spare parts around (from other dead systems) than to have a diagnostic card around.

But one that I've seen and tested is the Ultra-x P.H.D. PCI from www.ultra-x.com it's discontinued now but they have a newer version available.

As far as diags, start witha minimum config, motherboard, video, processor, memory only and then see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.micro2000uk.co.uk/products/post.../postprobe.html

or click the link called Diagnostic Toolkit.

It aint cheap and all that easy to use, but having used one, its pretty good at telling you whats wrong.

Like the "iceman" says, its much easier and cheaper to have some spare/old kit lying about to use for such problems as boot problems.

If you're building your own machines, quite a few have diag-style brackets - such as my MSI KT6 Deltra FISR (and the non-deluxe models too I believe), which is cheaper still in the long run when the enevitable happens.

Then if they dont light up at all, you know its the psu or motherboard thats dead lol ;)

Just my 2 cents anyhow :)

Regards,

N.