cmdlines.txt

Can I have em, and if so, how do I use em

".\my_app.exe"

is fine but what about my app.exe,

"".\my app.exe""

or,

"\".\my app.exe\""

please bear in mind before you reply, renaming is not an option.

1st off, using the ".\" is kinda redundant isnt it? you can just use the name of the app since its sitting in the same folder as cmdlines.txt

According to this and this it should be:

"my app.exe"

or

".\my app.exe"

They both will do the same thing.

According to this and this it should be:
"my app.exe"

or

".\my app.exe"

They both will do the same thing.

I have looked at both those pages in my extensive search, and spaces /double quotes are not mentioned.

I've a tendency to say it cannot be done, mainly because there appears to be no examples anywhere of an entry 'with spaces', but that said, after two complete days searching, I haven't seen anything which states it cannot.

It just seems a shame to include a batch just for a single command, as that is all I need.

My example would allow it, but that was only, unfortunately now, a bad example. I am running an executable, but with a string argument, so it's the string which must remain in tact, with spaces.

Thanks for that though, I haven't seen documented or in an example either!

Heres your example... straight from M$.

An example would be as follows:

• I386\$OEM$\Cmdlines.txt

• I386\$OEM$\SP3\Update.exe and the rest of the Service Pack 3 files

The entry in Cmdlines.txt would be "./sp3/update.exe -u -n -q". Using the $OEM$ directory in this manner will keep the base $OEM$ directory from becoming cluttered.

Also, I use "REGEDIT /S regfile.reg" without issue and if you count the amount of characters in "RunOnceEx.cmd" you get 9.3... so Im telling you.. spaces (using double quotes, parameters and long filenames do work in cmdlines.txt.

That exactly the confirmation I required;

Thanks durex, as un4given1 had stated, and I had guesed, it cannot be done without a batch file!

If the application being installed needs quotation marks, such as referencing long file names, the use of batch files is necessary. Windows NT command prompt conventions state that files or folder with long file names must be surrounded by quotation marks. The entry "./setup.exe "information file with a long file name.inf"" will not work in the Cmdlines.txt file because of the double quotation marks being used. To get around this, create a file named Batch.bat, place this file in the $OEM$ directory. The batch.bat file would contain the following line:

setup.exe "information file with a long file name.inf"