Command Prompt Help

figster983

Hey guys, just a few quick questions,

Simply put, Command Prompts

At one point in time my friend wanted to give me some files. His computer was in a remote location (with internet access), and he connected to his computer from mine through the command prompt. It was very cool, but I didn't watch long enough to see what he did to get it. Anyone know how he did this and can show me (actually TELL me :P). Also if anyone knows of a website that has a list of all (fine, the most useful and cool ones) commands enterable into the command prompt and what they do. I only know a few, msconfig, ipconfig, and regedit. I would like to learn more about command prompts and what my friend did. Thanx

Jack :hello:

there are several ways to transfer files remotely. I hope that I am corect in saying that your computer was directly connected to the internet. If it was then he probably did something like "net use" that would open up a connection between his computer and yours. specificy

net use k: \\computername\sharename\ /:USERusername password

would be the code he used to mount your drive, then he could just copy files accross.

This site http://www.ss64.com/nt/ lists about every command line function that you would use in xp, from devcon to netsh give it a look and you will see all the functionality that you would want. Then if you delve a little further, you can find command line tools for AD, and admins as well. Then a little further and you will find dll access in VB through a wrapper, and at that point you can run any command or function from command line. My recomendation is to start small pick simple tasks, and learn one command at a time. I also find it good to think through when you might use the command and then try it.

have fun.

thanx,

so I first type "net use"

then "K:\\" ? i don't have a drive K

then "\\Jack\My documents\\" ect.

then......i don't get the next part, help?

I just tried it and it gave me a list of the 2 of the 7 computers on my home network. I don't need that, i can connect easier from My Network Places (user friendly) I want to connect to my work computer. help?

THanx for the link :yes:

you dont have to use a vpn. VPN is only if you want to make the connection secure. the k: is just what you want the share to appear as on your computer. Remember that you only need to deal with vpn, or any vn if one of the machines is not directly connected to the internet. If you are at work, and trying to connect to to your home computer that is directly connected to the internet, then you should beableto directly connect with out any issues. If you are at home and connecting to your work computer, that is behind a firewall or NAT then you will have to either tell the firewall/nat to forward the ms network connects or you need to set up a virtual network , like built in vpn so that your home computer appears part of the lan at work then you can run the net commands. ask for more clarifications on exactly what you are trying to do.

First things first--the remote computer you are attempting to attach to must be accessible from your home network. In most cases, unless the computer is in the company's DMZ, the firewall is blocking NetBIOS over TCP. This means that a [net use * \\computername\sharename] will NOT work.

If all you need is a command prompt on the remote computer, you can open up the firewall to allow Telnet traffic.

If you want the full desktop experience, connect using Remote Desktop. To enable this, open up port 3389 on the firewall.

I suggest you check your company computer use policies. If any of our employees were attempting to do what you are trying to do I would see to it that they were terminated due to breach of our computer use policies. Noone in our company is above our computer use policy (except the CEO/owner) and that's to protect our data and our customer's personal information.

I suggest you check your company computer use policies.  If any of our employees were attempting to do what you are trying to do I would see to it that they were terminated due to breach of our computer use policies.  Noone in our company is above our computer use policy (except the CEO/owner) and that's to protect our data and our customer's personal information.

That's a good point... Why not just upload the files you wish to share between the two computers to a public host. My cable-based ISP gives me 2GB of space for this kind of crap.