Windows Xp SP2 Boot problems

kal

Hi cheers :)

I have a problem since i'm doing my unattended windows xp with sp2 slipstreamed. I'm using nlite and and i rip a lot of things. I'm integrating drivers and apps. But, when install is done and during the first boot, i have explorer.exe who doesn't answer. I have to kill him and reload him manually. Screenshot here :

http://kalhfr.free.fr/boot.jpg

At the begining, it was happening only when i installed silently daemon tools & power dvd5 during installation. So i've parsed this files and problem was solved. In fact, not totally :realmad: Let me make 3/5 reboots, using msn and install little programs such as diskeeper (not enough space on my cd for it) and the problem is come back. I'm becoming crazy, it make 3 nights that i'm trying to solve it ! :no:

Hope you'll be able to help me ;)

Kal

This seems to be an nlite-related problem. So I think this belongs to nuhis forum.

Otherwise it would be an unattended install related problem, so thgis would belong to unattended forum

try unattended install with everything you use without nlite to find out if the problem is nlite related

btw: the tweaks in nlite can cause problems - did you use them?

Hi and thanks for your answer!

In fact, i didn't post in the nlite forums because i've tested an unatteded install without nlite and problem was still there ! I've tested with/without my apps, with/without drivers and probleme persist. At the moment, my cd is ok since i install vmware or daemon tools manually :|

I've added windows media 10, and explorer.exe doesn't crashe at the first boot if i install wm10 @ T-12 but crash if i install it by RunOnceEx. Very strange problem, isn't it ?

EDIT: yes, i'm using tweaks in nlite. I will test without it as soon as possible.

Ok, my cd was working fine during vmware testing so i've burned it and installed it on my computer... First boot = Same problem! explorer.exe doesn't respond, have to kill him and reload him :realmad:

I think i'm going to let drop SP2 .... :}

I believe i found the problem! :D

Well, i still have to test, but i'm 90% sur that its' the realtek drivers of my audio card. If i delete "soundman.exe" from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run], it won't launch it at the next reboot and it works! Have to test on my new cd ;)

I keep you in information

Hmm I hope your problem was solved. I kind of avoided installing the drivers because Dell keeps releasing newer versions of the drivers regularly. So I took it to myself to slipstream SP2 and some hotfixes which are constant...and then the rest I can get on my own. So I ahve a constant install and if I need to upgrade the drivers all I do is get on the net and install them. Works easier for me. Maybe you could avoid drivers being added into your unattended installs if your above fix does not work. Windows is a complex thing after all.

Hmm I hope your problem was solved. I kind of avoided installing the drivers because Dell keeps releasing newer versions of the drivers regularly. So I took it to myself to slipstream SP2 and some hotfixes which are constant...and then the rest I can get on my own. So I ahve a constant install and if I need to upgrade the drivers all I do is get on the net and install them. Works easier for me. Maybe you could avoid drivers being added into your unattended installs if your above fix does not work. Windows is a complex thing after all.

Well, i'm now totally sure it's these realtek drivers! In fact, i've tested my cd on an other computer. During this time, i've remade my cd with new drivers which does'nt integer program soundman.exe. The test has been succefully passed :thumbup

So i'm sur that it's a quesiton of driver, and especially sound driver. Other computer was nforce 2 chipset and the computer which cd fails is nforce 3 (asus k8n-e deluxe with a realtek chipset audio instead nforce audio).

P.S: Excuse my english, i'm french : :}

Ok, the problem was due to my audio chipset realtek acl850. It's totally incompatible with XP SP2 if your mainboard is a Asus K8N! In fact, there's two possibilities:

- Use asus drivers, which is an old version of realtek drivers. Explorer.exe crash during the boot.

- Use last realtek drivers : no sound! It says something like the connection is broken.

So i must use my old creative sb live! ;)

Kal