Messenger on SP2

cy.

Hi

I'm trying to send an executable file over through the MSN messenger to a friend of mine. the problem i'm having with is that her msn messenger automatically rejects the file transfer request with the following message

this file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe
so i figured it might be a new security measure with MSN messenger beta, told her to login using windows messenger.

but the problem doesn't go away.

it now prints this message

File transfers are blocked when they contain content that could be used to damage your computer. When someone tries to send a file to you, Windows Messenger first checks to see if the sender is on your list of contacts. Next, the file is put through a security check.

:} what would be causing this?

is it because she doesn't have an antivirus program on her computer?

yes, we do know why this is being caused. As I said it doesnt like exe's. It is a default control, just like in office, see here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...0760431033.aspx for the time being you just have to live with it. Also if you are in an active directory environment it will allow it becuase you can create a trusted zone, then exe come from a trusted source, and hence are good. For outlook here is how to remove the block

Outlook 2003, Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2000 SP3 (but not Outlook 98 or earlier Outlook 2000 versions) allow the user to use a registry key to open up access to blocked attachments. (Always make a backup before editing the registry.) To use this key:

Run Regedit, and go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security (change 10.0 to 9.0 for Outlook 2000 SP3 or to 11.0 for Outlook 2003)

Under that key, add a new string value named Level1Remove.

For the value for Level1Remove, enter a semicolon-delimited list of file extensions. For example, entering this:

.mdb;.url

would unblock Microsoft Access files and Internet shortcuts. Note that the use of a leading dot was not previously required, however, new security patches may require it. If you are using  "mdb;url" format and extensions are blocked, add a dot to each extension. Note also that there is not a space between extensions.

There is probably some similar key for MSN messenger, you just need to look for it.

Good luck.

i know that many people don't have this kinda problem.

you don't have this problem, do you?

I don't have problem receiving files, i can receive any file i want without changing its extension. I didn't have to edit system registry on my computer either. so there must be a specific reason why her computer is doing it

i've been searching for a resolution on the net, yet nothing comes up. :(

yes, we do know why this is being caused. As I said it doesnt like exe's. It is a default control, just like in office, see here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...0760431033.aspx for the time being you just have to live with it. Also if you are in an active directory environment it will allow it becuase you can create a trusted zone, then exe come from a trusted source, and hence are good. For outlook here is how to remove the block