Home Network

carver

:realmad: I have a 2 computer home network. Both computers have XP PRO. I can see both computers on network places from both computers. I can connect to 2 from 1, but when I try to connect to 1 from 2 a log on screen pops up, when I input my user name and password and hit enter the log on screen re-appears with the user name changed to include the computer name : computername\username

I tried to make an account with that name but it won't accept a name with \ in it.

Help please

First off, please do not double post. :no: Posting your question in either this forum or the networking one would have been sufficient. There is no need to create duplicate threads that just clutter up the forums and make them harder to navigate.

As to your problem, have you possibly disabled simple file sharing on one or both of the computers? Have you set the shares on the computer that is prompting for the password to "Depends on password" for whether to have read-only or full access? Are the accounts on both computers called the same thing? (i.e.: Administrator and Administrator)

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that Windows XP user accounts also have a domain on which they are created. In the case of local accounts, the domain name is the same as the name of the PC. What you are actually seeing in the log in box is <Domain Name>\<User name>, which is a common format for Windows log ins. So, even if you create a user with the exact same account name on each PC, they will still not actually be the same account. The account on the first PC would actually be PC1\User, while the account on the second would be PC2\User. I've not done much testing with identical user names on different computers, but that may be causing some confusion in the system when you are being prompted for a log in.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to MSFN. :hello:

O.K. I turned simple file sharing on, on both computers and I turned the guest account on , on both computers.

Now when I try to connect to either computer I get an error message " The user has not been granted the requested log on type"

are your computers on a single wire ie. NIC-NIC connection w/o a hub or w/ a hub? also, try configuring the settings from the network wizard found in the sidebar in Network connections, this might solve your problem... run it from both computers and see whether that helps...

J

I don't understand how a network functions. Does 1 comuter have to be a sever?

How would I set them peer to peer ?

The computers are connected through a D-LINK 4 port router I deleted all of my shared folders and started over. I ran the network wizard on both computers and I selected to share files and printers I also have simple file sharing off.

Everything remains the same , I try to connect to computer 1 and I am stopped at the logon screen

When you share the resource did you selet Everyone on the Permissions tab?

Create a User account on each machine with the same name and password. Do no use the Administrator account.

You do not need a server in a peer to peer arrangement. Each PC on your network can support 10 concurrent connections from other machines.

Make sure your XP firewall is not blocking printer and file sharing.

Ichecked my firewall, the only firewall I have is the one that comes with XP, and there is no option for file and printer sharing that I can see. I did select file and printer sharing when I ran the network wizard.

I also can't connect to computer 1 via the remote desktop, so I can't connect in any way

:w00t: There is a new development. I checked the objets that are shared and there is only computer 1 enteries listed, not computer 2. Now I have a different problem, I can't add users from computer 2 and the inheirit from parent thing is checked and not hightlighted so I can't uncheck it . Also there is one folder that I can't access from the same computer that's sharing it I get a access denied screen

It looks like you are a bit muddled about Sharing and NTFS permissions.

Check under the Sharing tab (for file sharing on a network) - it should have Everyone in the Access Control Entry by default. Unless you need to tighten this, you don't need to do anything or add any user account or Group by name.

You may have looked under the Security tab (for folder sharing on the local computer). This is the one with inherited permissions in the Adv button. If it inherits permissions from its parents (by default), if you are a member of the Administrator Group you should normally be able to disinherit child object permissions and basically do anything. Perhaps you are not an administrator or the owner of the folder?

Leave Remote Desktop out for the moment. For troubleshooting, it'd be useful to have a direct wired connection without the router. Keep it simple.

The Windows firewall should be OK to use unless you have SP2, then you need to include File and Printer Sharing in the Exceptions list.

For troubleshooting, it'd be useful to have a direct wired connection without the router. Keep it simple.

I suspect the unit carver is describing is similar to the one I use to share my own internet connection at home, a router combined with a 4-port hub/switch in a single unit. Unless he has mistakenly plugged one of his PCs into the WAN port of the unit (which I doubt, given the problem descriptions that have been provided up to this point) the two PCs are essentially as good as connected via a cross-over cable. I see no real advantage to taking the switch out of the path since I doubt the issues he is experiencing would be caused by a faulty hub or switch.

I don't know which sharing tab you are referring to, the one on the folder?

He is talking about the Sharing Tab in the Properties dialog box of the folder you are sharing. Right-click the folder and click Sharing and security... to open this tab from My Computer or Windows Explorer.

With Simple File Sharing disabled, click on the the Permissions button to access the permissions list for this shared folder. Do not confuse the Access Control List (ACL) listed here and the one listed on the Security Tab of the Properties dialog. This list controls access to the shared folder from the network, while the ACL on the Security Tab controls access to folders by users from the host machine.

The window you should be looking at to set permissions on the Shared Folder should look something like this:

post-38217-1112715507_thumb.jpg

Please note that in this screenshot the Share name of the folder in question is actually "Shared Folder." Yours should be labeled "Permissions of <whatever your folder's share name is>."

This screenshot shows the default shared permissions, with Read access being granted to the Everyone group. As its name implies, permissions applied to the Everyone group will apply to anyone who attempts to access the share, unless they have their own permissions explicitly assigned. Since there are no other permissions assigned on this shared folder, anyone attempting to access it from the network will be granted Read-Only access.

In most cases on a peer to peer network (which is what you are setting up), the default access should be enough. If not, you can set additional permissions here. Be advised though, that I suspect adding additional users or groups to the permissions list will likely require you to enter a user name and password when connecting to the share because the host PC will use that information to determine which set of permissions should be assigned. I have yet to find occasion where I was required to add any users or groups beyond the default of Everyone on a peer to peer network though, so I have never actually tested this theory.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by Cartoonite

:thumbup I got my home network problem sorted out. I did a system restore, but I had to go pretty far back. Now I have a different problem although it isn't effectiong anything. I have programs listed in the add/remove programs that are no longer installed. How do I remove these from the add/remove list?

Thanks for the link to the microsoft article. I was thinking and it accured to me that if I downloaded the same programs that I couldn't uninstall and then try to uninstall them it might work and it did. :thumbup