Question About Windowsxp Drive Letter Assignments.

Synomenon

When setting up WindowsXP Pro. on a fresh / clean hard drive, there is an option to install WindowsXP on the currently selected hard drive / partition or create new partitions. If I create two partitions then install Windows on the first partition (letting it format to NTFS too), after Windows is all installed and set up, will it automatically assign a drive letter to the other partition I created even though that partition hasn't been formatted with any file system yet?

Is there any way to get the other partition formatted to NTFS too before Windows installs (all just using the WindowsXP CD)?

Windows will not do anything to the other partition automatically, you would have to go to disk management and format the partition yourself. Then in that same disk management utility you can use it to change the drive letters if you like. You can not do this from the setup screens as far as I know.

As far as I know, firefoxthebomb is right. However, he did neglect to answer your first question. ;)

Yes, the second partition will have a drive letter assigned to it automatically. However, as firefox said, you will have to format the new partition manually after installation.