Remote Connection To Sbs Network

dgsmith

I could do that, but I don't really want my users logging onto the server anyway its not ideal.

Marsden the Sharepoint is like an Intranet site right? Is there no other way?

I can't understand why a user cannot just have everything as if he is in the office, if it needs a VPN then I will set one up, I just need to know what I need to do in order to do that.

Sorry I am a n00b and the customer wants more than I know how to provide. Good job he ain't paying me for this huh.

I could do that, but I don't really want my users logging onto the server anyway its not ideal.

To allow user log on physically locally on the server is not good idea, using Terminal Services is another story. When you configure your server for using Terminal Services, and use gpo to hide stuff you don't want your users to see, then loging onto the server is just like the workstation ... but anyway use what ever make you comfortable

With a plain old users account, remote users can't access stuff other than what's on the Remote Web Workplace screen. You want their shared folders and that is what is there along with their email.

The SBS 2003 setup creates two primary sites for user access, the Windows SharePoint Services intranet (companyweb) and the Default Web site (including portal site, Remote Web Workplace, and Outlook Web Access).

SBS 2003 is not an ideal location for hosting customer or user-facing business Web sites; an ISP can provide better performance and availability for these sites. However, it is recognized that the organization may need to create Web sites on the SBS 2003. In such a case, they need to be distinguished using host name headers. Host name headers are configured using the following procedure:

1. Open the Server Management console. Go to the Internet Information Services snap-in under Advanced Management.

2. Open the Web Sites container, right-click a Web site and select Properties.

3. On the Web Site tab, click Advanced.

4. Click Add. Enter the IP address of the server, TCP Port as 80, and the Host Header value.

Default Web Site (Required)

The Default Web site can be broken up into the following two identities:

• Entire Default Web site: The Default Web site is used by internal users and contains links to the Remote Web Workplace. External users should not view the Default Web site in its entirety, unless they are connected through VPN. The Default Web site contains links that only work on the internal network.

• Remote Web Workplace: Remote Web Workplace is specifically used for external access, but it is also used by internal users.

In the “Web Server Certificate”, an SSL certificate is installed for portal.whateveryournameis.com.

In this section, the DNS servers and Web sites are configured to make the Default Web site available for internal users using the name portal.whateveryournameis.com and on the Internet using a name, such as remote.whateveryournameis.com. Consider the following recommendations for configuring name resolution:

1. Add a host name header to the Default Web site, such as portal.whateveryournameis.com.

2. Verify that there is a name record on the DNS server in SBS 2003, linking portal.whateveryournameis.com to the IP address of the SBS 2003 Server.

3. Verify that there is a name record on the ISP DNS servers, linking portal.businessname.com to the static IP address on the external adapter of the firewall.

4. In the Server Management console, open the Advanced Management folder and expand the Internet Information Services node. Create a new Web site with a host name header, remote.whateveryournameis.com by right-clicking on Web Sites and selecting New->Web Site.

5. In the Web Site Creation Wizard, enter a Web site Description of remote.whateveryournameis.com and click Next.

6. Leave the IP Address (All Unassigned) and TCP port (80) at their default values and enter a Host header for the Web site. This should be remote.whateveryournameis.com.

7. Create a unique path under c:\intetpub for the remote.whateveryournameis.com Web site (click the Browse button and then select the New Folder button). Select the Allow anonymous access to this Web site check box, and click Next.

8. Accept all default properties and click Next until the wizard is finished.

9. Right-click the new Web site and select Properties.

10. On the Home Directory tab of the Web site properties, select A redirection to a URL and type the URL “https://portal.whateveryournameis.com/remote” in the Redirect to field.

11. Verify that there is a name record on the internal DNS servers pointing remote.whateveryournameis.com to the IP address of the SBS 2003 Server.

12. Verify that there is a name record on the ISP DNS servers pointing remote.whateveryournameis.com to the public external IP address of the small business firewall.

By using a Web redirect, the single SSL certificate provided on the Default Web site is valid for use both when internal clients connect to http://portal.whateveryournameis.com and when external clients connect to the Remote Web Workplace through http://remote.whateveryournameis.com.

Accessing CompanyWeb Externally (Optional)

The SBS 2003 setup creates a Windows SharePoint Services intranet site available within the small business network. It is available internally using the following URL: http://companyweb or http://companyweb.whateveryournameis.local.

By default, the intranet is configured for use only on the internal network. However, it can be accessed through VPN.

SBS 2003 can't be configured in TS mode to run applications. You would have to install Windows TS 2000 or Windows TS 2003 on top od SBS 2003.