Desktop Shortcuts Not Working

rcwalker

Hello folks...long time no post.

I have a problem. When a user tries to run an application either via network or locally, when they click on the Desktop shortcut, they receive the following error

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

However, when the user navigates to the actual program executible, the program launches normally.

It's like, all the desktop shortcuts give this error, but if the user navigates to the program directly, be it network based or on the local machine, the programs run.

Any thoughts???

check the properties of the shortcut, and check the working directory. If they dont work, just navigate to the directory with the program, right click drag to the desktop and click make short cut, then in a few minutes you will have all new working shortcuts. Also, if you want make jsut one shortcut, as mentioned, and then compare it to the one already there. See what is diffrent.

• 2 years later...

Thanks a lot this fix has saved me a lot of bother!

After installing [and uninstalling] a software that tweaks explorer, non of my shortcuts in desktop, task bar quick launch or start menu would work from left click, they'd only open from rt click then "open"

I know this is an old thread but this fix is worth resurrecting

Edited by Arrow