Service Packs

rmp

Is it possible with command line switches or anything else to choose specific fixes to install from Service Packs (SP2) or is the only choise to install everything? :}

What specifically do you not want to install from service pack 2? Because if you really want just the "critical" stuff just use sp1, and then install the hotfixes that it needs. I keep a copy of XP+SP1+Hotfixes and XP+SP2+Hotfixes just in case I find something that acts better in one or the other. but, to say again what from sp2 do you not want?

Hmmm, how should I put this...Let's try...

I feel that Microsoft clogs up / degrades XP by integrating what they call Advanced Security Technologies into Explorer, Internet Explorer and the Windows Core. I think that there are a lot of other security programs / common sense / tuning that does the security part of SP2 way better than SP2 itself, without clogging things up.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

Neither do I like Microsofts Windows Update policy or their way of intergrating things into windows.

Furthermore, I don't use IE or OE, I use Opera.

I do believe that things that aren't broken shouldn't be fixed, wich SP2 tends to in my opinion.

I like to install and setup my computer manually. I don't like things that happen behind my back.

http://www.silverhairs.co.uk/sp2.htm

So I'd like to skip the Firewall, Popup Blocker, the limit on TCP connection attempts, Data Execution Prevention, Windows Security Center and everything that glams the GUI +++ I guess you know what I'm talking about. I am a bit tired and my english is not too good now.

All in all, I think it's sad that Microsoft gives their experienced users so little control of his own OS.

I wish Microsoft made their Service Packs and updates more customizable, because it isn't every user given that SP2 boosts and fixes everything.

Hope this was OK written and thanx for replies booogy and purewaveform. :)

For thoes of you who dont know what AST is then look here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/tec...esoverview.mspx

As for the response, i am going to break down what you said.

I feel that Microsoft clogs up / degrades XP by integrating what they call Advanced Security Technologies into Explorer, Internet Explorer and the Windows Core. I think that there are a lot of other security programs / common sense / tuning that does the security part of SP2 way better than SP2 itself, without clogging things up.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

Neither do I like Microsofts Windows Update policy or their way of intergrating things into windows.

Furthermore, I don't use IE or OE, I use Opera.

Just about anything can be disabled. When I do my installations I use a completely full installation (in case i need something) then I go through and turn everything off. If you dont mind registry editing go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and you can actually see everything that is started, even down to TCP/IP Stack, and can control it. some of the keys you cant directly access, but if you use a tool like supershell and edit the reg as authority, you can disable all the process that you REALLY dont need.
I do believe that things that aren't broken shouldn't be fixed, wich SP2 tends to in my opinion.

I like to install and setup my computer manually. I don't like things that happen behind my back.

http://www.silverhairs.co.uk/sp2.htm

As I said in the paragraph above, you can customize your operating system quite a bit, as for the brokn bit, microsoft is moving towards a "trusted computing" environment and this is part of the "progress" that they are making. take it with a grain of salt, if you really dont like it then you will have to move to some *nix, becuase that way you will be able to get the source and do whatever you want.
So I'd like to skip the Firewall, Popup Blocker, the limit on TCP connection attempts, Data Execution Prevention, Windows Security Center and everything that glams the GUI +++ I guess you know what I'm talking about. I am a bit tired and my english is not too good now.
The firewall and popup blocker can betaken care of in winnt.sif. The TCP Limit connections can be taken care of in a registry entry. DEP is now integrated, and cant be directly removed, unless you dont want to use SP2, also DEP will be required at some point in the future, not entirely sure when. Windows Security Center can also be disabled. Other items that control the gui can be shut off manually as well.
All in all, I think it's sad that Microsoft gives their experienced users so little control of his own OS.

I wish Microsoft made their Service Packs and updates more customizable, because it isn't every user given that SP2 boosts and fixes everything.

Idont think that we will see much more customization, because microsoft is trying to code for the planet, but the "hacker" will figure out how to make the chnages that we really need. just take a look at the registry location above and you can start to get an idea of what can be done.

In general, you can do what you want. It is just going to take time. as for the registry location mentioned above I am working on some documentation for what they all are in a default install and what happens if you mess with them.

hope this helps.