File Transfer

troycicle

My cousin and I both have high speed internet. We've been using MSN messenger to transfer files back and forth. Usually, it's really slow. I'm looking for a better program to swap file back and forth. Would something like an ftp program work? What's a good program that's really fast and secure?

For FTP you have to open the FTP port Port 21 (default) in your Firewall and depending on what you use, try allowing only his MAC address to use the port. As well as setting a username/password & disabling anonymous. A VPN is the most secure way though if you want more privacy. I am not familiar with software VPN solutions for XP though. Someone else probably is. FTP is not a very secure way but will certainly work.

@troycircle

You don't need anything extra. If you just need to do a quick straight-forward transfer of files thru FTP, just go to:

Control Panel  >>  Add/Remove Programs >> Windows Components >> IIS (server) >> FTP

Check that component for installation, have your WinXP disc ready in the drive... and you're done.

Then just go to:

(right-click) "MyComputer"
click "Manage"
(in left-panel) Computer Mangement >> Services and Apps >> IIS >> FTP site.

Right-click it and configure your site with the IP address that you have been assigned (run "ipconfig" in CMD to find out your IP).

That's it.

Now you'll know which folder is your FTP root (would be of the form - C:\InetSvs\ftproot).

Whatever files/folders you put there can now be accessed over the internet with your IP address being told to your cousin. For example:

ftp://160.45.230.28/

And by typing that into his address bar or download manager, he can directly get files from you.

You can add more virtual folders to your FTP too, so that you don't need to copy files to the singular ftproot.

All this is not complex - it would take you 2 minutes to set up. Once that is done, you just need to give your IP address to your cousin, and he can immediately access it and start getting files from you.