Help With Sound Driver

dgsmith

Hi All,

After bragging how good you guys were one of my friends has asked me to try and find something for him, so I am looking around the web, but thought might as well try posting here.

He has a PC from Tiny Computers, which has a Micro-Star International Mobo.

Now it comes with Windows ME, but everyone knows how pooh that is, so to make matters worse he has installed Windows 2000 onto the machine.

Almost everything is running fine, apart from his sound drivers.

The system has On-Board Audio but I can't seem to find any drivers that work.

I tried these:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driv...3&CHIP=3&COM=13

C-Media CMI9739A/9761 Software Audio Drivers

but he advised that did not work, can anyone else suggest some better drivers:

After running a Belarc Advisor, it shows:

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6385

And further down it shows:

C-Media AC97 Audio Device

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I often disable the Pnp OS option in the BIOS and pause the screen when the BIOS prints the Pnp info. You can match this info against the .INF file for the driver setup to see if you got the right driver. But of course, not all BIOS'es display the Pnp info at all. :huh:

MS-6385 has nothing to do with C-Media. It doesn't have C-Media chip so C-Media drivers won't make onboard audio work. The string "C-Media AC97 Audio Device" that Belarc Advisor displays is but a result of such drivers installed. Those drivers should be removed.

MS-6385 has Intel 850 and ICH2 chipsets. ICH2 has an AC'97 compliant audio controller, supported in Windows 98SE/2K/ME/XP/2K3 by applying the 850 chipset INF Update Utility. The latest provided by Microstar at http://us-download.msi.com.tw/support/dvr_...el_inf_OM71.zip is equivalent to Intel version 6.2.1.1001 released 7/26/2004. Yet Intel is providing a newer version 6.3.0.1007 released 12/16/2004 at ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/81...infinst_enu.exe. Run Belarc Advisor again after applying the INF Update Utility to see what audio device it displays.