Software Restriction Policies

Yesterday at work I was fooling around in our test network try to get a path rule to work in a software restriction group policy. My goal was to restrict the execution of a .cpl file in %SystemRoot%. This for some reason did not pass down to my test user account.

What I have been following is a document from Microsoft known as the Windows Server 2003 Deployment Guide. This document, like all other Microsoft documents, seems to have some issue with the concept of ordered lists.

So anyway, then I tried something basic. I attempted to restrict Internet Explorer, which has been in the same place in Windows since at least version 5. I used the direct path to IEXPLORE.EXE. Even this didn't work.

So now I am at a loss. Is there something more I should be doing, or what?

I answered my own question earlier. The policy I'm trying to set only works in XP/2003. I was trying to apply the policy to a Windows 2000 workstation. I can't believe Microsoft would actually expect companies to upgrade their entire lot to XP to get this to work. :realmad:

I answered my own question earlier. The policy I'm trying to set only works in XP/2003. I was trying to apply the policy to a Windows 2000 workstation. I can't believe Microsoft would actually expect companies to upgrade their entire lot to XP to get this to work.  :realmad:

welcome to the club ... what do you think, how Gates became rich :)