Projector Or Tv For Home Theatre?

prathapml

This is not news.... but it fits in here so....

Here's an interesting article discussing if you should choose a TV or a projector for your home theatre.

View it

Home-theater dilemma: projector or TV?

So, I watched the Oscars, and I sat there thinking, year after year, no one does anything about Al Pacino's hair. In fact, the Oscars were, for me, a parade of bizarrely messy hair, yellow teeth, sweaty features, webs of wrinkles, and pancake makeup. All that is thanks to the magic of life-size HDTV, in the form of my father-in-law's new home-theater setup: a 72-inch screen with a Sanyo PLV-Z3 LCD projector. He and my brother-in-law managed to get the whole room set up in time for the Oscars, complete with a ceiling-mounted projector, a recessed screen (in a converted closet), and surround sound. But when it came to shopping for that nice home-theater setup, the preparations for their modest Oscar party were months in the making.

The latest burning dilemma in home-theater planning is quickly boiling down to one central question: projector or TV? My in-laws spent about three months weighing the pros and cons, so I thought I'd try to make your buying decision a bit easier. Most of you already know the pros and cons of TV sets (but check out our quick guide to TV types if you're in the market), so let's discuss projectors, starting with the basics.

Ah, but as the author says, the biggest minus-points about a projector is that:

1. Its life is lesser than an average TV.

2. You will necessarily use it as a special thing (the example you gave ;)), unlike the utilitarian TV.

I've not looked at all the different models and their capabilities but with the small number that I have seen and compared to plasma, I'll take a smaller plasma monitor. I'm sure there are high end projectors out there that do a nice job but all that I have seen don't have a decent picture quality. This opinion is based on what I have seen when I have wandered through video departments in stores. I guess I might feel a little different if I were to watch a good movie on an 8' screen with surround sound and the lights off but I haven't. If only money weren't a factor.

DL