Processes Refuse To Die

azagahl

A lot of times in XP I start a program and it locks or hangs up. Often it cannot be killed.

I press Ctrl-Alt-Del, select the process, and then choose End Process repeatedly. It warns me "Terminating a process may cause system instability, etc." but I select Yes and it still won't terminate it!

I don't think this is a permissions problem since I have admin permissions, plus I started the process in the first place

Any ideas?

BTW, another problem is that if I do sucessfuly terminate a process, a lot of times it leaves locked files behind. The only way I know to unlock the files is to reboot XP. Is there a bettter way to handle this problem?

You could try pskill.exe from Sysinternals.com too, it is part of PSTOOLS.ZIP, works well once you have identified the process you want to kill off.

Just type: pskill.exe <process name>

Is it the process or the program that you are trying to end? Is it is a process, what is the name of it and why are you sure that is the one causing the problems? Mabey it realy is a system process that cannot be stoped. Make sure you have the right processes before you kill something that might turn ur computer off ;)