Help With Remote Access

dgsmith

https://63.204.xxx.xx/remote

You have to have SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003, IIS 6.0, SQL 2000, and SharePoint Services.

RWW only uses a web browser on the client end. I use any remote machine or my Poclet PC Phone Edition to asscess my SBS network.

That is brill, I just tried it and it works fine, but it only gives me the option to connect to a client computer or connect to the server, the normal Remote Users will be using laptops, so won't have access to a client machine to control, and won't have access to the server directly. How would they access files stored in the User Shared Folder on the server?

b. Another option would be to use OWA, or Outlook Web Access.  This way, users can login to a remote account through a web browser and work as if they were in Outlook on their own systems.  Many IT peeps fight over whether or not this is a good idea or a bad (similar to the war over security in Terminal Services).  Depending on whether or not you choose to use SSL or not, you will have to open port 80 (web) or port 443 (HTTPS).

:(

Apparently my post was too long to be read thoroughly.

b. Another option would be to use OWA, or Outlook Web Access.  This way, users can login to a remote account through a web browser and work as if they were in Outlook on their own systems.  Many IT peeps fight over whether or not this is a good idea or a bad (similar to the war over security in Terminal Services).  Depending on whether or not you choose to use SSL or not, you will have to open port 80 (web) or port 443 (HTTPS).

:(

Apparently my post was too long to be read thoroughly.

Sorry mate, it wasn't that I didn't read it, but at the time I didn't understand it as I am VERY new to SBS2003.

;-)

Your ISP or who ever is hosting your Internet domain must create an MX record for your domain ... and you need to setup a port forwarding like 110 and 25 for mail server beside OWA ...

My Host have advised that is not something they can do. I currently have my Domain name registered with 1 company but the NS Records are pointing to my host for the website.

I will ask my domain handler to see if they can setup the MX records for the mail.domain.com and go from there. Thanks for you advise.

Dave

Just to make sure you don't make a mistake .... domain.com should be replaced with your actual internet domain name :)

You may want to have a look at this site m8. It'll explain how to create your own cerificates for SSL

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/SSL_En...g_OWA_2003.html

Message Security in OWA 2003

http://www.petri.co.il/configure_message_s...in_owa_2003.htm

I would strongly recommend implementing some sort of security feature on your exchange box before going live with this.

If possible set up an exchange 2003 front end server in a DMZ.

Have fun.