2000 As Routing

Hi Everyone,

We've had 2000 AS for some time, but are expanding and also adding in ADSL.

Previously we had DNS and DHCP all set up and working nicely. Each client computer had their own modem and used the same, shared phone line. Now we have got ADSL on, and need to set up Routing, etc.

Our system goes something like this...

1) DLink DSL-302G ADSL Modem

2) DLink DI-624+ Wireless Router

3) W2K Server via Realtek 8139 10/100 NIC

4) Out to network via NetGear Gigabit LAN and SiS 10/100 LAN cards

- NAT is enabled on the Router

- If we enable NAT on the Server, clients can no longer log into the Network

- We have the three IP addresses of the NetGear, SiS and Router added into each client PCs DNS settings under TCP/IP

There's probably more you need to know, so please ask away.

Thanks,

Bruce

When you say can no longer log into the Network, do you mean they can no longer log on to Active Directory Domain? Because I don't think enabling Routing and Remote Access should have anything to do with this.

Those 3 IP addresses you've mentioned, are they global or private? Anyway this is how your tcp/ip should be setup.

Server.

1. Intranet (LAN1)

IP: 172.16.1.1

SM: 255.255.0.0

DG: (leave empty)

DNS1: 172.16.1.1 (if your DNS is on the same server)

2. Internet (LAN2)

IP: 192.168.1.1 (must be the same class as your LAN interface on the router)

SM: 255.255.255.0

DG: IP address of your LAN interface on the router

DNS1: 192.168.1.1 (if your DNS is on the same server)

In the Routing and Remote Access/IP Routing/NAT/Firewall select properties of the interface LAN2 and select Public interface connected to the Internet, make sure that Enable NAT on this interface is checked. now select properties of the LAN1 interface and make sure that Private interface connected to private network is selected.

Make sure that your DNS is listening on both LAN1 and LAN2 addresses.

On DHCP Settings deliver this to your clients:

Default Gateway: 172.16.1.1

DNS: 172.16.1.1

Don't forget to use your own IP addresses class :) Also note that, Microsoft doesn't support multihomed neither AD domain conrollers nor AD member servers.

Hi Klasika,

Yes, I mean that the clients can no longer log into the Active Directory Domain. Whether it has to do with IP addresses or what, I'm not sure...

What is 'multihomed'?

With the settings you specify, I can't even get online from the Server...

I'll keep looking into it and I'll try contacting DLink again.

Thanks,

Bruce

Hi Everyone,

I'm having difficulty conveying and understanding what's what. As is often the case in small businesses, I'm actually a web designer, but have been required to put on the 'System Administrator' hat for a bit...

From the wall we have:

1) The D-Link Modem. This has internet, is 10.1.1.1 and has NAT activated.

2) The D-Link Wireless Router. This has internet and has two IPs associated with it - 10.1.1.15 and 192.168.0.1. The router has DHCP enabled and has wireless to the only laptop on our network, and wired to the server.

3) The Windows 2000 Advanced Server. This has internet, has THREE NICs - a RealTek 10/100 card assigned IP 192.168.0.105 by the router, a SiS 10/100 card manually assigned 10.1.1.8 and a NetGear 1000 card manually assigned 10.1.1.9.

NICs:

a ) Realtek - IP (auto - 192.168.0.105); SN (auto - 255.255.255.0); DG (auto - 192.168.0.1); DNS1 (man - 192.168.0.1); DNS2 (man - 203.2.75.132)

b ) SiS - IP (man - 10.1.1.8); SN (auto - 255.0.0.0); DG (blank); DNS1 (man - 10.1.1.9); DNS2 (man - 10.1.1.8)

c ) NetGear - IP (man - 10.1.1.9); SN (auto - 255.0.0.0); DG (blank); DNS1 (man - 10.1.1.9); DNS2 (man - 10.1.1.8)

Routing and Remote Access is enabled with the RealTek card set as the source and also set to 'Public' under the NAT settings. The other two cards are set to 'Private'

4) Client PCs - IP (auto); SN (auto); DG (auto); DNS1 (man - 10.1.1.8); DNS2 (man - 10.1.1.9)

5) Laptop - The laptop has internet via the Wireless, but not via Wired. If I plug wired in so that I can access the server, no internet is available.

If this huge lot doesn't help out, I can supply Server DNS & DCHP settings.

Many thanks for your time,

Bruce

Huh you sure have SOME configuration there lol ... having multihomes server as DC (server with more than 1 NIC) is not supported by MS. Anyway, you would have to install a DHCP server bebore you go further, and once installed, authorize it in Active Directory, next, disable DHCP on the DLINK modem/router, same with wireless router. I will make you small drawing how this should be done ...