xp's firewall turns out to be pretty damn good

sedative

check out this article... h*tp://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/22509.html

says that a test from ShieldsUp (h*tps://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) says that a computer with default winxp firewall settings was "fully stealth".

well, i went to that site, and guess what.. my computer was fully stealth with normal firewall settings.. but i wasn't satisfied. so i went to dslreports' port scanning section (h*tp://www.dslreports.com/scan) and, once again, my box was completely safe!

i'm thinking of ditching my mcafee firewall. why take up the extra resources (even though it's little to none) when i can use the built-in firewall?

could the xp firewall actually be reliable? ^)

check out my results in the screenshot below..

Sure when blocking something it might....but do you have a clue whats leaving your pc? Ever get a trojan....keylogger....you wont know that your sending information out from your pc for a long time. Not to mention, believe it or not XP firewall sometimes causes promblems when using messanger to send and recieve files. Oh you like ftp servering or downloading....uh uh...Give it up if you like XP firewall. Its a promblem child. Best bet if you want high security. Get a router with a built in firewall and runn a software app firewall! Which app is better.....who the heck knows, everyone has a different option

-Chris

yeah, i don't know what i was thinking when i mentioned ditching mcafee firewall, guess i was talking some poo.. and that's actually a [b:72a7600d18]babe's[/b:72a7600d18] butt on my desktop, laetitia casta :love :glow :love

I saw your screenshot, are you using cleartype? The fonts look very nice. I might try out Cleartype when I get back on my XP machine.

I heard cleartype was for laptop and TFT screens only, would it be ok on a normal 17" monitor?

Guest LouCypher

Man ClearType is tha sh*t. I usually run my desktop @1280x1024 on a 17" with small fonts and ClearType was such a huge improvement in readbility at greater distances and greater clarity from the same distance. So much [b:c82aa92e4f]easier[/b:c82aa92e4f] to read than before. Not just for TFT or LCD and not a noticeable performance hit running it either.

Guest LouCypher

I got this link from ieXbeta:

h*tp://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm

Its a page from Microsoft that lets you activate ClearType and tweak it to make it look better. I can't tell a difference from what it was set to before to what looked best on the "Tweak" page, but it might make a difference for some.

It's definatly obvious to me the difference, especially since the effect takes place immediately when you check the box and you can see it working. Just check and uncheck the box a few times, you'll see.

BAH: It's nothing more than Anti-Aliasing which might be a builtin feature of your video driver, so it's already active?