Remote Desktop Not Connecting

Hey guys could you help me here please.

I set up Remote Desktop connection for my server when i use Computer 1 to connect to my server using Remote Desktop theres NO problem. Computer 1 is part of my network.

Before i go to my friends house i do the following i check on www.myipaddress.com to see what my IP address is (my ISP provides dynamic IP adds) and leave the server on.

Now i go over to my friends house and try to connect to my Windows Server 2003 (my server has a static IP address thats assigned from my router) using Remote Desktop Connection -

i type in the IP address that i found before going to my mates house. my username (part of the administrators group and have used the administrator account) the password and then my domain name (domainName.com) (i know thats bad naming)

I try to connect - it returns the following error:

(See jpeg)

So i decide to disable the firewall on my Router - still get the same error. I try to connect to the IP add only without typing in the domain name and get the same problem.

Coudl you please advise whats wrong.

Thank you in advance

post-42895-1110621797_thumb.jpg

You may need to setup some form of port-forwarding on your router for this to work correctly. It really depends upon how your router, network, and server are setup. Does your router get the ISP-provided dhcp address? Is that the address you are attempting to connect to with remote desktop? Does your server have a private address on your network (ie NAT)?

- Ravashaak

Does your router get the ISP-provided dhcp address?
i dont think so but then again i dont really know. How coud i find out?
Is that the address you are attempting to connect to with remote desktop?

I wouldnt have thought so - the add im trying to connect to is the IP address i got before going to my mates i.e. http://123.45.67.89:1111/tsweb - 1111 is the port that IIS has setup for my default website

Does your server have a private address on your network (ie NAT)?
I have given my server a static IP address which is given from my router

i have also included a jpeg to give you an overview of how i have things setup.

RDP uses port 3389. Your router must forward to that port on your Win2K3 machine.

i forwarded this port to 192.168.1.19 (see jpeg) which is my server. I did the same with port 1111

Thanks men

post-42895-1110712886_thumb.jpg

Ok guys i dont know if this is getting any closer or not so thought to advise. When i type in http://myIPaddress/tsweb, i see pinkish screen with the words

404 Not Found

The requested URL '/tsweb' was not found on this server.

i am using the default settings now so am not forwarding any other ports other than 3389

If this is of any help then i navigated to <systemRoot>\web\tsweb\ - i dont have a file named default.asp but have default.htm AND when i type http://myIPAddress it shows the main page for my routers access page

any ideas?

anyone got any idea? as an update when i type in my ip add into the browser (http://ipAdd) it sends me to the login page of my router when i type my ip with tsweb (http://ipAdd/tsweb) i receive an error that this is not on the server - i have forwarded port 80, 21 and 3389 to my server and still cant log in

looking at your setup and from what you said if you can connect to your router's home page that would mean your routers configuration is incorrect - you need to change this to your servers address but leave the default gateway the same on your PC(s)

Hope ths helps

I have just setup a very similar environment, where the ISP connection goes into a Netgear Router, and the WAN Port on that router holds the public internet address, which you said above was: 123.45.67.89

Then the router gives itself a local address of 192.168.0.1.

After I initially setup the server I had problems connecting to it remotly, but I found the problem was due to the router not allowing any connection through it.

I am not sure what kind of router/device you are using but in Netgear there was an option to allow PING from the WAN Port.

You should try to ping the public ip address from your friends house, and if it does NOT work then that is your problem, if it does work, then the problem is related to port forwarding.

Let me know how you get on.

You should RDP into the Public IP address of your router. Your router will then forward the RDP request to your server's private IP address and the port you choose for this, in this case port 3389.

You must also have checked Remote Desktop

remote-properties.jpg

Ok just incase someone comes across this problem then you may want to use Remote desktop rather than the web based version. I tried to use the web based version and had all these problems that ive described but the minute i used remote desktop i entered my ip and domain and almost fell off my chair (errrrrrr as in i saw the login screen)