Shortcuts To Programs From Command Line

Zxian

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if there's an easy way to start a program from any location in a command line.

I know that if you create a shortcut to the program and put it in the %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\ folder, you can start it by using the "start" command, but I'm trying to find a way to not need this.

Is it possible or am I trying to skate uphill?

Thanks!

P.S. As to why I want to do this, have a look at my latest screenshot in the Desktop Screenshots section for the command line desklet that I have.

i'm no expert and i'm not sure if this is exactly what u want but u can create variables (like %systemroot%) and i suppose that could work.

try going to control panel -> system -> advanced -> environment variables

then u can create a system variable with a value which u should be able to access by just typing the variable name in cmd (i think). hope it helps! :)

If you put every single folder on your hard drive into the path you would probably run out of memory. Any executible you want to use the start command with needs to be in a folder included in your path like windows/system32 is. go to where the other guy said and add those folders you want to the path and start will work without typing the full locations. The more you add to the path the slower the searching will be and less resources you will have available. We aren't in DOS anymore so I don't know when that becomes an issue.