Any1 Been Successful In Deploy Xpsp2 W/sysprep?

ceez

ok peeps, so i am reaching the end of the rope when trying to figure out sysprep2.0 with xp sp2...

I was just wondering if anyone here in their organizations have been successful in creating a master image using sysprep that works on most of their relatively same hardware desktop using ghost corp?

I know how to create the sysprep.inf image, configure the inf to our liking and build the mass storage device section (-bmsd switch).

We use Dell Precision Workstation PC's with IDE drives, all uniprocessor pc's (P4's) and they are all ACPI (they all poweroff when shutting down Win)

The only thing I have not done is include the drivers in the sysprep file because when you do a clean install of WinXP SP2 on any of the PC's 99% of the time all the drivers are installed, and if mini setup needed a drive it would prompt you for the path DURING the mini setup. Since I am reaching the end of the rope.....that's what I am trying tomorrow....adding drivers to my sysprep.inf file....fun! :ba-humbug:

When I load a sysprep image on a different PC it either:

A- goes straight to the boot menu (safe mode, last known good, etc...)

or

B- it does not get past the "please wait" GUI portion of sysprep.

If I select safe mode it gets stuck on the agpcpq.sys file.

Doesnt matter what route I take I hit a wall! :o

I've tried creating images from older systems...P3's GX110's and even from 1 PC that's a XEON beast.....no luck when I load those images on other Dells!

So if you have experienced the joy of sysprep, please throw me a freakin' bone here! :)

Very much appreciated!

Ceez

:thumbup:

PS - I am attaching my sysprep.inf for review.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you confirmed the hardware ID's match those in your SysprepMassStorage section?

Do any of the P4's have HyperThreading?

When you perform a manual Windows installation, which ACPI does Windows select? You can view this in Device Manager -> Computer.

The simplest answer for having a single image that works across multiple HAL's is to use the least common denominator hardware and upgrade the HAL before, during, or after Sysprep (it depends).

Answer those, and we'll go from there.