I've Tryed It All!

Hi, well maybe some of you have read my Power Management topic, if so, i solved that problem. But i only managed to solve that.

I'm still stuck with the following problems:

1st Still those SmallIcons in IE and Windows Explorer.

Before i started this unattended CD i already had a *.reg file that i would normally run after installing windows. This worked just fine, also the SmallIcons work fine. But as you all know, QuickLaunch for example can only be saved at T12 during installation. So i started making my unattended CD.

This is the tweak that sets SmallIcons for IE as well as for Windows Explorer, i have removed this key from the registry of my current windows, manually set icons back to small and checked if the key would be back. YUP!, it was back, so it is the correct one. It also works if i run it in a tweak file or cmd file or what ever in windows on an already installed version of windows.

;Sets Small ToobarIcons
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons]
"SmallIcons"="yes"

Problem is that it doesn't stick when i run it from my tweaks.reg during installation. (read below for more things i tryed with this)

2nd HotFix integration

I have done the tutorial on how to add hotfixes to my setup. I used the svcpack.inf method. Problem that comes up here is that 2 of the 14 dont install. :no: The two tweaks that don't install are the following: KB890830 & KB885835. (read below on how i done it)

3th SmallIcons in CLASSIC START MENU

This one has been a real pain in my a**, still haven't found a correct tweak that set's this.

I will now show you how i have set up my unattended CD, in hope anyone can help me or give suggestion or ideas, or maybe even sollutions.

Here is my WINNT.SIF which i placed in the I386 folder.

WINNT.SIF

Then i created $OEM$ folder in the root of my CD and put my *.reg file and the cmdlines.txt in it.

Here is my tweakfile & cmdlines.txt

tweaks.reg

cmdlines.txt

To get the hotfixes integrated i created a folder in the I386 folder and named it SVCPACK, in there i placed all the updates needed. I also renamed them as was stated on the unattended.msfn.org website. Then i removed the SVCPACK.IN_ and added my own svcpack.inf, with the following content:

[Version] 
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
KB867282.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB873333.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB873339.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB885250.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB885835.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB885836.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB886185.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB887742.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB888113.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB888302.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB890047.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB890175.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB890830.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB891781.exe /Q /O /N /Z
qchain.exe

Well this is how i have it set up.

(part2 SmallIcons IE & Windows Explorer)

I did try some other things to hopefully fix the SmallIcons problem, for example using RunOnceEX.cmd with the following content:

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Forceren Gebruikers Instellingen" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Forceer: Kleine Pictogrammen" /f
REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons /v SmallIcons /t REG_SZ /d yes /f

EXIT

I added "RunOnceEx.cmd" to the cmdline.txt file under the entry which launches the regfile. Then i created the following folder structure root\$OEM$\$$\System32\ and placed the cmdow.exe in it.

I really hope i did something wrong, because that would mean there is a sollution :P

I also tryed to put the icon tweak in a seperate file, place it in the $1 folder and run it in RunOnceEx.cmd

This with the following code in RunOnceExe.cmd

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Forceren Gebruikers Instellingen" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Forceer: Kleine Pictogrammen" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\smallicons.reg" /f

EXIT

I hoped after alot of trying i would get there, well i managed to solve my power management, but the rest just doesn't go away. :no:

Please point out my mistakes!, so i can fix it!

Thanks in advance, Cheers!

Oke i will...

I did do alot of searching and reading before i asked and i understand that a better Title could of been applyed :blushing: sorry for that.

I will try the hotfixes again today, thank you.

Nobody has seen any errors in my batch files either?

I have found that in the HIVEDEF.INF there are alot of registry keys being enterd, also one concerning the SmallIcons of Explorer en IE.

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons","SmallIcons",0x00010003,0

This is the key, i removed it, installation didn't gave errors but the icons were also not applyed :no:

Maybe someone understands this key better then i do, when is it run what does the numbers stand for and were does the "0" stand for, i also saw some keys ending with "1"

I have discoverd that my key did get entered in some cases, atleast, the folder was in the registry, but the key with the fallue "yes" was not there. I also tryed to add it with a .cmd file without the /f. This gave me ofcourse the prompt that the key already excisted. But when i do a clean install without the tweaks it does not already excist when i look into the registry. That was kinda odd, since he did say it already excisted when i used the cmd file.

Hope this brings anyone to an idea?

Thanks for the hotfix suggestion, will try it tonight!

Cheers!

No problem, thanks for trying :)

And the hotfix suggestion didn't work :( maybe i did something wrong?

This is how it looks like now:

[Version] 
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
KB867282.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB873333.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB873339.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB885835.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB885250.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB885836.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB886185.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB887742.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB888113.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB888302.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB890047.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB890175.exe /Q /O /N /Z
KB890830.exe /Q
KB891781.exe /Q /O /N /Z
qchain.exe

The same two are still not installed.

But the odd thing this time, is that KB890830.exe is not listed as needed updates anymore. But it is also not in the list of software.

Is it possible that if my normal windows is a little bit screwed up, that it affects the result of these installations in VMware? Maybe i should think about a full format and then start trying to get these things to work.

Also VMware is saying that i don't have VMware Tools installed or something, but it can only be installed if the guest is fully booted or something. I don't understand that, nor did it install when ever i tryed to install it.

Cheers!

Well it looks like those two hotfixes are not really wanted...

Because trying to integrate my 14 hotfixes into my cd with nLite resulted in only 12 being copyed and listed in the svcpack. Again the same two updates were not integrated. I gues i just let those two be, unless someone can tell me why it hasnt been integrated, but i find that doubtfull since this thread has been read more than 100 times.

Thanks, cheers! Awnsers are always welcome :D

LPL reckons you have to apply Smallicons with a batch file in the Startup folder. See this thread.

Microsoft updates KB890830 every month so its not worth adding to a Ua CD. I cant help with your other hotfix problem because I dont use the svcpack.inf method. They work fine with the good old batch method.

@echo off
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

FOR %%C IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%C:\WIN51 SET CDROM=%%C:

FOR %%i IN ( "%CDROM%\Hotfixes\1\*.exe" ) DO (
  ECHO Installing hotfix %%~ni
  %%i /O /U /N /Z
)

Adding the VMware video drivers (46Kb) to your OEMPnpDrivers path should fix its message. Get them here

kb890830 will not be listed in ad remove programs, its a one shot wonder. and will run again the next time Microsoft updates it to detect more malicious code.

Not sure what the problem is with kb885835 try them with /q /n /z instead of /q /o /n /z.

@Dahi

Thank you!!! i will look into it right away!

I think i should brush up on my search skills, if you people are able to find, how come i don't? i already used the methods from the post that is linked above here. I always did even before reading it. Anywayz! thanks! :D

@IcemaND

Thanks!, i also read your topic http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...820&hl=KB885250 if i am still not succesfull, i'll try to experiment with that! :)

I followed Dahi's link and have made my own version of it.

Here is how my version passes by the SmallIcon problem...

Make a file called SmallIcons.cmd in it copy & past the following code:

@echo off

// Executing Registry Key
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons" /v "SmallIcons" /t REG_SZ /d "yes" /f

// Removing Files
DEL /S /Q "%UserProfile%\Menu Start\Programma's\Opstarten\*.*"

EXIT

Change the %UserProfile%\Menu Start\Programma's\Opstarten\*.* to the correct one, every language will be different. You can also choose to just delete one file, in that case replace the *.* with SmallIcons.cmd and it will only remove that file.

In order for this file to run, you must Copy it to %UserProfile%\Menu Start\Programma's\Opstarten\ this location, i did it as was told in the other topic with my cleanup.cmd

cmdow @ /HID
echo off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

//Copy file from CD-Rom to the specified location
COPY /Y "%CDROM%\$OEM$\SmallIcons.cmd" "%UserProfile%\Menu Start\Programma's\Opstarten"

EXIT

The first line with a part of the alfabet is ofcourse to look up the CD-Rom drive, in order for this to work make an empty txt file with the name CD.txt and place it in the root of your XPCD :thumbup

The SmallIcons.cmd is in this case placed in the $OEM$ you can place it were you want to, but you will need to point the location out in the file.

I thought i add it to this post, in case anybody searching for this and ended up here, would get an awnser as wel :D

Thanks alot guys!, i will now go on and try to get ridth of other anoying things, have learned alot of this, CHEERS!