Somebody Had To Ask......

diesel_98a

Floppy controllers still support 2 drives. You can add a B drive anytime. It's just hardly anyone uses one floppy anymore, let alone two (lots of new computers are shipped without one)

Maybe your topic should read "Why no floppy drives?"

nice find. I still remember my dad's old NEC laptop with dual floppy drives, one for the DOS 3.0 boot disk, the other for software...usually oregon trail. Guess I just take it for granted nowadays that C is the first hard drive. But anyways, with the way technology's headed, those could probably be removed and reassigned as hard drives in Longhorn (hey, MS always has to find some way to mess us up with every new release). I mean, jumpdrives, zip disks (ugh) and cds/dvds have made floppies pretty much obsolete nowadays, I don't even have a floppy drive in my latest machine or my crappy old laptop, and usually don't even think of it as missing. Also, don't most motherboards now support boot from cd without floppy emulation?

If longhorn and WinFS had been on time, we should have seen the elimination of the concept of drive letters, sooner. Once the changeover happens (maybe now it will take until 2010 to happen), you will just have mount-points, or "file system trunks", from where you use your files.