Another I Got 2 Routers And Uplink Question!

I have two routers, one is wired Linksys BEFSR41 and the other is wireless Dell Truemobile.

My cable modem goes into my BEFSR41 which has an ip address of 192.168.1.1 and has the DHCP on.

I take one of the ports of the BEFSR41 and connect the WAN port of Wireless router to it. The ip address of my Wireless router is 192.168.2.1 and all the laptops have static ip addresses like 192.168.2.x

This worked. I could even ping 192.168.1.1 from the laptops. Browse the internet, etc.

However, this morning the internet suddenly stopped on the laptops. I went down to check what's going on, and realized that I could not even ping 192.168.1.1 from the wired PCs. I did a "save changes" on BEFSR41 and everything started to work again.

I am just wondering, should I change the ip address of my wireless router to 192.168.2.something as well? And should I leave the laptops as static ips 192.168.2.x or should I turn the automatically configure on them?

OR is everything ok just the way it is?

Asad

is the 2nd router set up as a router, or gateway? Somehow I think it could be screwing up the routing tables preventing you from getting online until you do something with the linksys one.

I don't think changing the IP of the wired router to a 192.168.2.X would matter, though you can obviously try. From what it sounds like, you're trying to essentially add wireless capability to a wired router? Make sure that the Dell router is setup as an acess point mode or something like that and not bridge mode, if that's what you're going for

just a thought

I'm not sure what you're saying ...

What I have is a Wireless TrueMobile Access Point. What do you mean by am I using it as a Router or a Gateway?

I have the DHCP off on the wireless access point, so call it router, gateway, access point, chumba maloomba, ...

And no I'm not trying to add wireless capability to a wired router. I have wired PCs and I have wireless PCs. I want to "uplink" a wireless router (or whatever you wanna call it) to a regular router which is connected to my ISPs cable modem.

What do you suggest I do again?

well if its the linksys router you having trouble with you might want to change that..

Or changing the routers IP sometimes helps. It Helped with me. I i linksys to and i changed it to 192.168.1.101 and my connection was back..

I'm not sure what you're saying ...

What I have is a Wireless TrueMobile Access Point. What do you mean by am I using it as a Router or a Gateway?

I have the DHCP off on the wireless access point, so call it router, gateway, access point, chumba maloomba, ...

And no I'm not trying to add wireless capability to a wired router. I have wired PCs and I have wireless PCs. I want to "uplink" a wireless router (or whatever you wanna call it) to a regular router which is connected to my ISPs cable modem.

What do you suggest I do again?

Sorry about that. I know that some acess points can be set up as a bridge or access point. Bridge would be linking 2 wireless networks together wirelessly, and an access point would be providing a place for wireless pc's to connect to.

I would try what matrix suggested and switch the IP and see if that helps.

I didn't know the Dell Tru Mobile was an access point. I thought it was another wireless router, which is why I asked how it was configured as either router or gateway.

Stupid question... can you change the IP of the Dell acess point to something on the 192.168.1.X network?