Changing What The Reset Button Does

missing_link

Not too sure if its possible but is there a way to change what happens when someone hits the reset button? Say for example they hit the reset button and it runs a script instead of just restarting the PC. Gone into advanced power options and theres options of thing to do when power button and sleep button is hit but not the reset.

Any help appreciated.

That would indeed solve the problem but i just don't fancy running round opening up hundreds of PCs. :D

Its mainly a problem in one school were they use NetSupport to "lock" kids PCs. Theres just nothing stopping the kids resetting the PC and carrying on with whatever they like. We've got in touch with NetSupport a few times about it and its filed under "currently in development" which means not bloody likely.

Sorry missing_link, but I don't think what you have in mind would work. There is no hardware-based solution for this. Even removing the leads of the reset button is a flawed solution.

Think about it. If you disable the reset button, I can still reboot the computer by turning the power off and back on again. The only way to completely prevent students from rebooting the PCs without supervision is to deny them access to the power button. Lock the PCs themselves up, leaving only access to the keyboard/mouse and monitor, unless they specifically require access to optical drives or other forms of removable media to the extent that having them ask a teacher or other responsible person for assistance is not a viable option.

Sounds to me like you would be far better off with a software-based solution.

Say for example they hit the reset button and it runs a script instead of just restarting the PC.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to do this. However, it should be possible to provide the PCs with a boot up script that will be run whenever the PC is booted. That way, even if the students do reboot the PCs, they will only be able to access whatever it is that they should be accessing from those machines.

I'm not at all familiar with NetSupport software, so just let me know if for some reason this solution is incompatible with your current security measures.

Hope this helps.

I don't think there is anyway of stopping a manual reset of a machine as the process is hardwired on the motherboard.

As was mentioned before remoe the lead but this would be no good in your situation.

You could always put crazy glue on the reset button or a thumbtack.

:D Easiar than opening all the cases. I think 'm going to have to sit on this until NetSupport get back to us. As it stands though it doesn't have anything that can run from a prompt.

Cheers for your help lads. And wahoooo!! The weekend is here.