Computer Doesn't Shut Off Without Dialing

asteko

Hi there,

I'm using Windows XP SP2. I have a strange problem which began to occur about 6 months ago. My computer doesn't shut off unless I click on a dial-up connection. If I dont't do that, it restarts.

I think it's something about my modem. It's an interesting one.

What could you recommend me to solve this?

That is starange indeed. First thing I would try is I would update my anti virus software and run a full scan. I would also run spyware software to see if there is any of that on my computer. You could use the new Microsoft antispy beta or adaware or sypbot search and destroy.

After you have done this get back with us and we can try some other things.

Thanks for the response. :)

My browser is Firefox (then Phoenix) for the last two years. I also use Ad-aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Norton Antivirus, and ZoneAlarm. All are up to date. I scan my system regularly and it's very clean.

One thing I want to mention again that I click on a dial-up connection to prevent PC from restarting. It's not done by the computer itself. When I don't do this, it restarts instead of shutting off.

I don't remember how I found this solution though. I think I realized that my computer kept restarting when I didn't go online (thus establishing a dial-up connection). Here's a screen shot of all devices on my computer.

maybe its a b0rked motherboard or maybe modem? i would check how the modem connects (hardware wise ). I take it its a internal modem? have you got any other ways of testing the two out? and maybe its a motherboard driver/ sp2 issue? check the motherboard website maybe.

Regards

cyph