Dns Service And Sbs2003

hpsiew

Hi everyone,

I have this weird problem with a SBS 2003 server whereby from time to time (within the same day) the DNS server service will stop for no reason, no errors in the DNS event logs. Without this service, Exchange 2003 SMTP and ISA will fail and that is when user starts complaining. NSLOOKUP on the server console would not resolve names when this happens. Incoming mail and VPN are not affected as these services did not require DNS services from the server.

ISA was configured for caching only as we have an external firewall. RRAS was installed using the Remote Access Wizard for external VPN access.

I had setup quite a few SBS2003 servers with identical configuration and non of these servers gave me any grieve except this one. I have googled and try to find a solution but to no avail.

Can someone please assist?

Regards

Hong Siew

If you have a spare computer, install W2k3 server, join it to the AD, transfer DNS role to this server, and then reinstall DNS on the original server, then take the role back. If you just reinstall DNS on your original server, AD will crash in no time ...

1. No apparent errors in the System log except SMTPSVC complaining it can't connect to DNS, as expected.

2. The settings was default, ie "Take no action". I had changed this to restart the service and see how it goes. I am a little worried as I do not know why this problem occurs only on this one box.

Thanks

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

The setting to restart on service failure had no effect. I suspect this was due to the service not reporting that it had stopped.

Buiding another W2K3 server and making that the primary DNS server before reinstalling DNS on the original server will be the last resort. I was really hoping that there are other things (test, registry hacks, etc) that can be done before this. I had a bad experience with ADS and DNS not too long ago and it ain't fun trying to fix it. Besides if I stuff up I will have to redo Exchange.

Regards